1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does a good day feel like?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by teacher1200, Mar 8, 2016.

1. teacher1200

teacher1200 New commenter

What are the things that make you feel good about being a teacher on a day to day basis? What has to happen in your day and what makes you happy?

2. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

Children respond well in lessons, planning pays off, kids are interested and learning. That used to make me feel great, now if you could just find a way of stopping anyone outside of your classroom from wrecking it all...

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Someone says thank you as they leave.
    I go off on an unplanned tangent which just works perfectly and everyone learns something.
    Sparky kids make the lesson interesting.
    Having a giggle with colleagues in the staffroom.
    Figuring out a new idea or new way to get things across.

Noja, ilovepoppies and petenewton like this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I decided to give myself a few minutes to think about this, and @Flere-Imsaho has posted all the ideas I had come up with. At times like this, teaching is a great job. I still remember the first time I was teaching a lesson and the kids were really responding to each other and me, and being surprised by the thought "I am really enjoying this".

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  5. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

When a child has that 'eureka moment' and gets something they've been struggling with for ages, with or without my direct input.
    When students thank you for a good lesson
    When a really good quality piece of homework is completed
    :p

When I worked on supply, I used to say it was a good day as 'nobody's died!?!' o_O

sabrinakat and janemk like this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I get this in my new school... first time it happened [from a non-year 7] I was shocked. It is a very nice thing to hear.

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

How is the new school going?

8. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

When bottom set Year 9 use Machiavelli to explain Hitler (thanks to my planning).

When top set Year 8 get really angry that Thomas Jefferson kept slaves (not thanks to my planning).

When Year 7 have a debate about the environment that makes some of them reevaluate their responsibilities (thanks to their own input -all I was doing was selecting who spoke next).

And when the classroom's tidy at the end of the day and I manage to mark all the books. That works too.

Oh, and a pint of bitter on a Friday afternoon helps.

Noja likes this.
  9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

A parent saying thank you makes up for all of the carp that you sometimes get.

josienig likes this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Not always sure...
    When you travel home with a smile on your face, you know it's been a good one.
    When a sometimes tricky colleague asks your advice and publicly thanks you later.
    When you listen to children singing a song you've taught them as they go down the stairs on the way home.

Oh yes, stuff about children learning and all that as well.

PS Nice thread. Positivity is underrated.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

When you get a massive queue of kids waiting at your door to find out how they did in a test like I did today.

Noja likes this.
  12. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

When a certain lunchtime supervisor is not in. I can have my sandwich in peace.

13. MrMercedes

MrMercedes New commenter

A thank you - you're doing a decent job can be enough for me. It amazes me how many leaders don't do this. The best head teacher I've worked under did this a lot, 'you did x well, or I liked the way you did this.'

sunshineonarainyday likes this.
  14. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

When your no.1 badly behaved child either decides to a) toe the line or b) is absent. Not fussed which.

15. zannar

zannar New commenter

When a parent actually admits their child is hard work (I am being polite) and says thank you for putting up with them, helping them and adding that they have seen an improvement in their attitude at home.
    Shame it refers to a 7 year old!

16. sunshineonarainyday

sunshineonarainyday Occasional commenter

When students are engaged in their learning and there is a palpable "buzz" in the room.

When I have a conversation with students at break/lunch time/lesson change-over and we smile, laugh and share an anecdote or joke.

When I leave at the end of the day feeling that I have helped students to develop an interest in, or even love for, my subject area.

17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

When you chat to parents you barely know for an extended amount of time and they gush away about how much you are doing for their children and how very appreciative they are. (When actually you run two lunchtime clubs that their boys attend!)
    Big head...Moi?

18. oceanroc7

oceanroc7 New commenter

When you get 35 Year 11s staying behind after school to do Chemistry Catch-Up on a Friday. Yes there are biscuits...

joannagb likes this.