1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does a 'dynamic' PSHCE lesson look like?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sauvignonblanc, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Something with drama, role play perhaps . Or an art activity painting emotions in response to cross music, happy music. Making a feeling puppet to use in a short video retelling a sad story to make it happy. Crikey.. could be anything. I would miss out the PSHCE and think about a dynamic lesson first.. Anything where they are not sitting listening to you. A world cafe looking at what sort of learner they are? Using clay to make figures to show important people in their lives.
    Job interview?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL Job interview that has been and gone

year 1, 20 mins pshce theme, story and activity was the brief.

But yes definitely needed a task as such for them to 'do'. But dynamic? Wow?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Soooo not just me who hasn't a clue then?!

4. I can't help... I haven't a clue either.
    I do think, though, that when schools say things like "dynamic" for an interview lesson, they have a set idea in their mind of what that should look like and if your idea of dynamic doesn't match theirs, you're not going to be successful.
    I'd much rather have a more open brief and show me as a teacher and my own teaching style. That way, if I don't fit their wish list of ideas, then at least I know it's not the place for me.
    Does that make sense? Looks like the ramblings of a mad woman!

5. Nope! My PSHE lessons tend to be talking about whatever big issue or crisis comes up in my class in any week! I suppose if I was looking for dynamic I would think along the lines of drama with some hotseating, or conscience alley, or thought tracking.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Soo it seems I teach 'normal' PSHCE lessons then, and I don't generally start with a story which was the requirement here.

Oh well I know for next time...don't do drama, don't do reflection, don't do mysteries...

Thank you though.

7. I think it is a bit of a red herring - all this dynamic- you know if you've got the children engaged enough to start talking about their own experiences, to listen and relate to tothers and begin to see cause and effect, consequence and conclusions etc. children's rythms are dynamic enough that if you have managed to release that you have done a good job. It's not a teacher show whre you have to be the star performer
    NOt that you always can anyway and not that every lesson has to be dynamic, they can't be; any tide has high water and low water, there are ebbs and flows in all natural interactions between forces. It's a red herring.

8. Not a clue!! Sorry! I've read a few interesting replies above though so feel a little more clued up!

9. A lot of the things that would make a dynamic PSHCE lesson are the things that would make any lesson dynamic. Perhaps changing the word dynamic to interactive or outstanding might help as dynamic is a strange word!
    In my experience a dynamic PSHCE lesson with year 1 would come down to teaching them something new about themselves or their world around them or allowing them to explore and discuss something new. Many teachers fall into the trap with PSHCE to teach similar things all the time but in slightly different ways: feelings and friendship come to mind. PSHCE is far more than this. It is easy to do a circle time talking about feelings but once they've done that a few times they may not be getting much more learning from it.
    I feel that focussing on the Citizenship side of PSHCE more than the PSHE always gets far more interesting and exciting lessons. I think it is also important to not be scared to tackle some of the trickier aspects of PSHE and Citizenship: bereavement, crime etc but this would work much better with a class you have already built a relationship with so doing this at interview wouldn't be advisable!
    In year 1 I use puppets a lot in PSHCE and role play scenarios. I also use a lot of short film clips in PSHCE which are a good basis for discussion or debate e.g. about the relationship between Garfield and the other characters. BFI short clips are brilliant for PSHCE as they often focus on relationships, consequences or choices. I particularly like dangle, lucky dip and Tom Sweep. I think they are all BFI starting stories.
    I quite often dress up in PSHCE in daft costumes to stimulate discussions too e.g. as a policewoman. As often as I can I bring PSHCE outside as that is where real life happens so doing things like litter picking, looking for grafiti and talking about what we can do about it etc.
    I absolutely love PSHCE and I think the children can get so much out of it if the lessons are planned well. I do find it a shame that quite a lot of teachers treat it as a quick and easy lesson that has come purely from the SEAL pack (although I have also seen some fantastic PSHCE teaching too and I am sure those on TES are of that category as they obviously care enough to be thinking about their PSHCE teaching). There is so much more out there to do than SEAL (although it has it's plus points too).