1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does a day of a lecturer look like?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by tozeva, Mar 16, 2017.

1. tozeva

tozeva New commenter

Hello,

Can you please share how your day goes at work, if you're a College teacher or lecturer in London or England?
    1. When do you go to work?
    2. Do you have a lunch break (15-30min at least)?
    3. What time do you leave work?
    4. How often do you have to do overtime (i.e. for parents evenings, extra planning or marking, etc)
    5. Would you say your role allows you to have a good life/work balance?
    6. Do you have your weekends and holidays for yourself (no work)?
    7. Do you work during national school holidays?
    8. Would you describe your workload as manageable or impossible?
    9. Do you find student behaviour and engagement good, ok, or unacceptable?

I'm trying to get an idea of this type of teaching job to compare it to a Secondary teacher's job.

Thank you!

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Why? Two EY teachers have given you long and thoughtful replies to the same question on the Earls Years forum.
    Please have the courtesy to explain your interest.

3. tozeva

tozeva New commenter

This question relates to Lecturers. I suspect their experience will be different from EY teachers. See reply in EY forum.

4. shaniheadley55

shaniheadley55 New commenter

The best way to find out is getting some hands on experience in both settings. Its never certain how stressful the job will be, everyday is different in teaching, some days can go good and some days can be hectic. You have to make it balance for you.

Check out my newly created blog post... on my experience.
    shanigo2.blogspot.co.uk

5. Molem7b6

Molem7b6 New commenter

Even as an FE lecturer myself I'm always interested to see how the working patterns of other people in the sector differ from my own. Here's what my day looks like in relation to the questions you've asked.

I'm also an NQT (not that they strictly exists in the FE sector). So that might skew it a bit.

1. I normally leave my house around 7am
    2.I often have a working lunch i.e. sat at my desk doing admin
    3. I normally leave work 6pm...sometimes later
    4. We have at least 4 parents evenings, 2 open evenings, 1 open day on a Saturday, and meetings weekly which finish after 5pm. When you say overtime I'm assuming you mean unpaid overtime?
    5. Not currently
    6. Not always - the week long half terms I'm normally in the office for a few days.
    7. Depends how far behind on admin I am.
    8. For me personally, currently impossible given the allotted contracted hours.
    9. Student behaviour and engagement is mostly good, or at least not worse than expected.

6. gogogulliver

gogogulliver New commenter

1. 8.30 to 5 - sometimes I start early and finish late, sometimes I escape a bit earlier.
    2. In theory an hour. How I use this is really up to me, although in practice I do end up doing a bit of work. There are 15-minute breaks between lessons which normally give me time to print stuff out or slurp some coffee.
    3. 5ish
    4. My department is quite good about not giving us too much extra, so rarely. It tends to be a show of good will if I do.
    5. Full time? No. I have gone down to 4 days a week, which feels very leisurely.
    6. Yup, although in practice a bit of "sorting my stuff out" on a Sunday evening is a good idea.
    7. Not really. Some people do. I come in over the summer (and am paid to do so) to do "planning" which ends up being disregarded as the scheme of work is overwritten with no notice by the upper reaches.
    8. Delightful.
    9. You get what you give. I teach a mandatory subject for many students who are usually there because they failed their GCSE, so there is a bit of "why am I here?" reluctance which leads to dicking about sometimes. A lot of it stems from being told they can't do things at school, or a failure at a qualification that they were told was essential or unfounded negative beliefs about their own ability. Being able to finish courses early if you pass can motivate people.

7. niizha_oh5

niizha_oh5 New commenter

8. tozeva

tozeva New commenter

Thank you for the replies! Really helpful! It's a shame that TES does not notify me every time someone posts a reply! It only does this occasionally.

9. hhempshell1988

hhempshell1988 New commenter

Hi, I'm new here and just came across this thread.

I work in construction, primarily i teach Brickwork. If i have a practical session first thing, I like to get to the college around 8am so I can ensure there is sufficient mortar (if not I now have an hour to prep a theory session and find a theory room)

Lunch break is usually around 12-1pm, it's easier spent eating, drinking tea and marking registers / assessment work

Half 4 or 5pm, Never needed to hang around.

Very rarely done over time, it's all unpaid but if you cover the saturday open evening you usually gain a days holiday.

Yes, i never do any work on the weekend, may answer my emails at home once per evening but that's about it.

Yes, weekends spent not thinking about work, I go to the pub friday for an hour or two to unwind from work then spend the rest of the weekend playing with the kids and helping them do their homework.

I work one week every easter, usually two weeks in the summer ( college is like a ghost town and can generally "dress down" and work at a leisurely pace)

My workload is very manageable, key is to work very hard, get on top and stay on top of things. Some times of the years are busier than others.

generally the students are gits to start of with. I'm young so they try to push me, they ask probing questions and once they realise I'm a very accomplished bricklayer and teacher then the respect comes through. Where I'm often 10 years older than the learners, I like a lot of the things they do, Football, Walking dead, Game of thrones etc so you can relate and get on well with them. I do insist I am not and will not ever be their friend, once they understand the boundary I always seem to have an excellent teacher/student relationship.

Hope this helps!!

Jen26 likes this.