1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

What does 71/80 mean grade-wise on Unit 3 GCSE English Language?

Discussion in 'English' started by gjbrph, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I tutor a boy who is doing his GCSE English Language this year. He has received the above mark for his Unit 3 coursework. All the specifications I can find grade this unit out of 120. Can anyone point me in the right direction?!

Thanks
    Gill

2. My understanding of the AQA spec is that the Controlled Assessments are marked out of a total of 80 marks, and these are the marks that are submitted to the exam board. They then do a calculation to transfer this score out of 80 into UMS points out of 120 (presumably to allow some flexibility with grade boundaries?). Hope this makes sense! If anyone out there can confirm that this is right I'd be grateful!

3. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter

"What does 71/80 mean grade-wise on Unit 3 GCSE English Language?"

Almost nothing, I'm afraid.

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Which spec? 71/80 looks like borderline A/A* to me - why do you need to know a grade for this piece? The boards are all discouraging teachers from marking in grades and, although that's what a lot are doing, maybe this boy's school are following the rules and only giving raw marks.

5. Thanks everyone for all your responses!
    Gill :0)

6. do not have a definite answer to dat q, soz.