1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do your young children call your adult friends?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by princessdiaries, Jul 23, 2011.

1. I think just saying "Sarah" or "Amy" sounds a bit abrupt/disrespectful for very young children ... but is "Auntie so and so" too confusing, when they aren't exactly an aunt?
    What do other people instruct their children to do?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Why?

3. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I've never called any but my very old great aunt "auntie". First names every time and the same went for my children when they were young. I think it's silly to call friends 'auntie' and respect doesn't come in a name.

4. I just do ... I was never allowed to refer to adults as just their first names and I just think it sounds a bit too familiar, if you see what I mean?

5. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

My kids always referred to adults by their first names. Sometimes we would ask first. Don't really see the problem . . .

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Nope. Why on earth is it too familiar for one person to call another by their first name?

Every 3/4 year old I have ever taught in nursery has called me by my first name.

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

we always refered to our friends as Uncle or Auntie as far as our kids were concerned. Blazer major is now 29 and still refers to them in this way (in fact mrs blazer, who is 53, still calls her parent's friends as Aunt and Uncle so and so). Strangely my sons calls his real (and only) uncle by his first name!

The kids of our friends call us Uncle and Auntie blazer as well.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Surely if the friend is in the child's life from birth,the child would call them by their first name or possibly even auntie/uncle if the relationship was like family?

9. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I'm not sure I've ever instructed my offspring in this regard. Or ever really. They seem to have turned out OK.

10. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

They called all our adult friends by their first names, and only their real uncles and aunts were called uncle and auntie.

11. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

As the only auntie to 3 of my nephews I feel really hurt when they refer to a friend of my sister as an auntie......actually, if I'm honest it really pisses me off.
    What's wrong with names? I used them with my mom's friends.xx

12. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Sir/Ma'am

13. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

See, this is where TES really needs a like button!xx
    [​IMG]

14. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

My children call my friends by their first names. It never occurred to me to do it any other way!
    For what it's worth, Mr Tarte used to hate having to call his mum's friends 'auntie' ... especially the ones he didn't like!

15. I would hate it if my friends' kids called me Auntie JRT. I am NOT a blood relative so JRT will suffice. In fact even my own nieces and nephews only ever call me by my name. Auntie would make me feel sooooo old!

16. When I was young it was either Mr or Mrs or Auntie (for non family adults) you are right really confusing. There is nothin wrong with children using adults first names - it si the 21st Century after all (and not as with me 50s and 60s)

17. My children always called my adult friends by their christian names and when they were young called my brother and sisters aunty and uncle, not now though! I hate being introduced as Aunty .... to my friend's children who are not my nephews or nieces.

18. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

On a similar theme, now I am an adult I don't call my aunties Aunty.... any more.
    Apart from Aunty Janet, to distinguish her from Cousin Janet.

19. I think its touching to be refered to as Auntie Fig by a friends child if its a close friend, but I wouldn't force it on anyone or instruct a child to do so.
    That said, my Pa's family refer to themselves by Christian name as do I, where as my Ma's side use Aunt/Uncle and I still use Christian name. I hate calling people Auntie or Uncle, even on their birthday cards!

20. I had loads of "aunties" when I was a kid...I think Aunty Colin was my favourite.