1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do your children do when they first come in in the morning? Help

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sarahprice87, Dec 19, 2011.

1. I have a self register either an IWB one or names on the ground. The children register themselves then they either get a book or play with some blocks i set out. Once all the children are there they sit on the carpet for 15 mins max while we do all the morning stuff such as what day is it month weather etc etc before they have centre activities.

I'm also sure that the other teacher in your team wiuld not mind you observing or even asking her morning routine if you can't observe. Most teachers are open to people asking!!!

2. Ours come in, sometimes we have books out on the carpet, sometimes we have phonicsvideos playinf on IWB - youtube is a wonderful resource, sometimes we have whiteboards and pens out for name writing/number/letter formation practice.

Then is register, morning songs, input and then to choosing

3. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I'm the teacher in a full time nursery class and as of after Christmas we will be coming in and doing name recognition and name writing (tracing over their names with pen/finger) and this will be available on 2 tables, while the other 3 will have table top resources.
    The child self register by sticking their names onto the board so I will check this just before 9 and complete my register online. At 9am when the register is closed, I will call all children to the carpet where we will do date and weather boards, days of the week song, and morning input - whether story or discussion.
    I wanted to invent in the Wake up, Shake up dvd set but it would all have to come out of my own pocket and I'm not sure how worth it is - so if anyone has any experience of it then let me know!

4. Ours self register and in their trays they have a signing in sheet which they take out and do one line of name practice. To start off with its going over the dots then the letters are taken away. The parents if they drop off sit with them to do it. Those whose parents don't drop off we try and pick up. Then they are allowed to fee flow for 15 mins until everyone is in then we wake up shake up.We were lucky enough to get ours from our SSCO. We have considered buying a Wii and doing just dance each morning.

5. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Coming into school we do fine motor activities and handwriting. This helps get rid of the parents! Then we have welcome groups and then do our phonics lesson. TA takes one welcome group and has a focus group for phonics. Then activity time.

6. Apart from buidling in to the routine purposeful and relevant uses of literacy - reading for a purpose; name registering etc many children want to get stuck straight into their own learning agenda, they go and find their friends or start doing- the art for me of early education is to NOT interrupt this with a teaching agenda. Their play is already their work.
    We are already losing this early years founding principle where we overlay a teaching agenda of table top activities, phonics sessions or handwriting etc on top of their own purposes. Let's not forget that purposeful acitivity -whatever it is- is our goal for young children, that their creative and assimilative capacities find opportunity to fix, hold and grow by intteraction with materials, places, and above all people. The phonics, writing and numeracy agendas are not the agendas of early learning. Hence the first thing for children should be to be given the opportunity to be purposefully, creatively active, not passive and receptive. From there everything else follows,

7. Thanks Yohan that would certainly work for me because I can't see the point of 4 year olds sitting for 30 minutes I doubt 11 year olds would want to.
    I would be interested to hear your thoughts on another thread I started re my total lack of knowledge of Letters and Sounds.

8. ok thanks for the comment I'll go and have a butchers hook at the other thread... I love early years teaching by the way... in nursery schools it was the jewel of early education crown for a long time... it has however lost its lustre without doubt in the current climate,; fear, easy soundbite, political pirateering for easy causes has tarnished the quality of light which reflects in our loss of vision, which has been replaced by acres of print and echelons of fussy-minded policy maintainers.

9. Hi Mrszzz
    I have just been on placement in an outstanding school in reception and there are 60 children in there over 2 freeflow classrooms. The children come in and find their name written on laminated card, they then have to trace around the letters with a whiteboard pen and stick it up on the self registration board. They then have the choice of reading a book, playing a game on the IWB or singing songs.
    The children only really have to sit for registration and an explanation of the activities on a Monday morning but the majority of the children now they are settled after a term come straight in, do their name and then sit quietly with a book. They can sit in pairs and look at the pictures or some prefer to sit on their own and read.
    Don't panic about being new to reception. I felt extremely overwhelmed when I first went in. My experience is very much KS1 and to an outsider reception seems very much play orientated and it wasn't until I actually got in there and discovered the logistics that I understood.
    With regards to L&S, I would strongly advise watching the DVD that comes with it. I had to watch it to come to terms with the beginning phases as I had only seen phase 5 and 6 taught. The activites on there are really good for helping you realise what the programme is all about.
    You must also remember that phonics does not suit every child. There are many different ways that children use to read and the systematic elements of phonics do not suit everyone. You will get some children who simply don't get phonics and you can use other methods to encourage their reading, Remember the phrase 'phonics first'. Children will initially use phonics but often go on to other ways of interpretting words.
    Think about the tricky words aspect of phonics. You cannot actually teach children to read those words using phonics as they defy the blending and segmenting process therefore the children have to literally remember those words. If they can remember those words then why not others? Why do they need to rely on blending and segmenting to assist their reading.
    I am a fan of phonics don't get me wrong and I do believe that the systematic element does embed the knowledge but to a beginner the programme is daunting.
    I know I am only a trainee and don't have anywhere near as much experience as some of the posters on here but I have had really good placements in outstanding schools and anything I can help you with I will.
    Feel free to drop me a message in my inbox if you need any help with L&S as I really do enjoy phonics and have taught it to children who are phase 2-6.
    Good luck Mrszzz I am sure you will be fine in your new class, you need to embrace the position you have where you can nurture children at such a young age. I have got from being reception phobic to wanting to teaching EYFS when I qualify.
    Kellou

10. Hi
    I'm in a special needs school but the level my children are at is pretty much early years. When the children arrive at school in the mornings they complete their 'Basket work' which includes some writing or pencil skills depending on their levels, looking at a picture book or reading a short book (tends to be the Biff and Chip books), and then something related to their IEP target such as matching shapes or a PSHE based target. Some of the children also complete a task related to their Speech and Language programme.
    The idea is meant to be that they have two different coloured baskets and the uncompleted work is in one and then once it is completed it goes into the other coloured basket. To be honest I don't tend to do this as the children I have need 1:1 support to complete their work but once they become more independent with it it will be an indication of what they can and can't manage
    X