1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you wish you had already known about pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by coffeecakes, May 5, 2012.

1. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

Just found out I'm pregnant, first time and a big surprise! I'm a bit overwhelmed really, in a good way! I was just wondering about other ladies' first time experiences. What do you wish you had known about being pregnant the first time?

2. That you can get just folic acid in tiny pills and that you don't need to take pregnancy vitamins (they made me very, very sick).
    That you really do not need 90% of the stuff that people/companies/magazines will try to flog you, and that not have a wipe warmer which also sings a lullaby and make your coffee in a morning doesn't make you a bad mother.
    That H&M do some fab and inexpensive maternity wear.

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Yes, definitely! I bought a monitor when I had my first baby....I live in a flat, all on one level!
    I wish i'd made the most of my maternity leave, before my baby was born, and just rested. I have 2 children now, aged nearly 3 and nearly 1, and I can't remember the last time I got to rest.

4. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

To do some back strengthening exercises - i suffered with really bad backaches towards the end.
    Also - I know they all say it but it's so easily forgotton - pelvic floor exercises, after giving birth to a whopper I now have a very weak pelvic floor and a prolapsed bladder. I wish I had kept up with these all the way through pregnancy.
    I wish I hadn't assumed I would able to breastfeed which can be a big dissapointment if it doesn't work out (I found it more painful than birth at first)
    I also wish I hadn't worried so much over giving birth!
    x

5. Coolgiraffe

ooh another thing... don't buy maternity clothes in one size as I kept changing as I got bigger, just buy bits at a time x

6. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I wish, wish, wish I'd taken some photos of my bump while pregnant- not every week or anything but just a few, as we don't have any at all!
    If any midwives tell you the baby is likely to be born early, don't believe them... my daughter was very low down from about 36 weeks which was really uncomfortable and they kept telling me she would be born at 38 weeks ish, she was 4 days late by the time I was climbing the walls with frustration.
    Morning sickness isn't always in the morning- for me it was in the evening so I just slept as soon as I got home from work at 6pm and sometimes slept through til the next morning.
    Full time teaching was exhausting. I now realise that you can ask for a reduced timetable near the end, so wish I had.
    Pregnancy goes very slowly and I was so impatient to get onto the next stage, should have just enjoyed it more.
    Congratulations on your pregnancy! It's such an exciting time.

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My husband's aunt is a health care assistant on the maternity ward and told me my 2nd baby would probably be born early! She was 12 days late and induced! As for induction....I was dreading it, but actually it was fine, so nothing to worry about at all!
    Don't listen to any birth horror stories. When you're pregnant, people always like to tell them. Ignore!
    I have loads of photos from both pregnancies, and it's so nice to look back (and be glad i'm not that huge anymore [​IMG])

8. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such interesting responses! Some really good advice, thank you ladies :)

9. Bit late but here goes...
    I wish I had known, before attempting a shopping trip in my second trimester, that most shops dont stock their maternity ranges in stores they are mostly online. Also that TopShop maternity tights are rubbish! I bought a small and spent the first day wearing them worrrying they were going to fall down!
    Also just how tiring the last few weeks have been (Im 37 weeks, finishing work on Friday) and how I would have been more organised with my workload (secondary English with resp). Its hard to mark 30 essays when you are asleep on the sofa!
    Equally, O/T, that by not finding our the sex of our baby we would struggle to buy the simplest of things - 'nice' baby gros, a baby bath thats not a vomit colour etc.
    Tx

10. That it really does result in a baby.... It never felt real to me either time until they were here!

11. Agreed!!!
    Also no one warned me how I would feel after the actual birth - felt like I'd been hit by a bus the day after she was born! xx

12. Coolgiraffe

During the postnatal bleeding (lochia) it is normal to pass some small blood clots (lumpy blood). They say to look out for anything bigger than a 50p and get that checked out if you have any.
    I didn't pass any clots really, just like a heavy period for about 3-4 weeks.
    x

13. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

That the things which seem a really big deal usually aren't. How the birth went fades. That you need to keep time for you. To include and support your partner (or whoever's helping you if you're a single mum), like le them do night feeds, not just so you recover, but to let them bond with the baby. That you don't need to buy loads of stuff, hand me downs from mates are fine. Or if you're rich, fair enough spend and have a ball! That you may regret that cool baby name that seemed so great at the time (not me but I know a few who do!)That you will get criticised whatever you do or don't do, and everyone has the right to comment on your personal choices and your body. And that your body will change (and unless you are rich and famous, or very lucky, probably permanently) but as a busy mum you will probably feel so blessed that petty things like that won't bother you!