1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you wish you could tell parents about school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by educationwriter, Nov 2, 2010.

1. opps parents' not parents. It's late and I've had a glass of wine.....

2. I lord....I think you nailed that....just what I was thinking!

3. Dear Educationwriter
    Great stuff...........just need it to be printed in the dailies now..to reach the parents we really want/think they need to read it!

4. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Yes, but we don't have a tradition in this country of the government bowing down to those who shout the loudest. Fortunately, we generally have a higher regard for the democratic process.
    Thank you, I certainly hope my attitude never gets anywhere near that.

5. I quite agree Hippie. Will get pitching the idea to nationals once I've checked the website editor is happy for me to do so...

6. Great stuff. Spot on!

7. invincible

invincible New commenter

I am a teacher. That does not mean I have all the magic answers to your child's behaviour problems/emotional immaturity/laziness. I am only human, just like you. When I try a method and you don't like it, is there really a need for you to run to the Head three times in a week to complain without even coming to talk to me first?
    If you know better how to make your lazy wimp of a child actually listen and pick up a pencil one day this century, please tell me! Actually no, please have my job as you obviously have all the magic answers I don't have, despite my training and experience and professional authority, which you have now just made sure has been undermined in front of you by my superior. And of which I am sure you will delight in telling the other parents in the class about so they can now do the same.
    *** off. Just *** right off. And stop making my life a fcuking misery.
    And thanks colleague for your utter professionalism.

8. runaway

runaway New commenter

Just to be devils advocate - as a teacher and a mother I wish several years ago I had pointed out to my child's teacher that I am not stupid and can tell when she's rushed something, not completed it, cocked up and/or clocked off early a little too often too. That includes the times the class arrived in school long before she did, the time she wrote 'well done Tom' on my daughters work, the 'lost' pieces of work and even books, the failure to teach any science whatsoever for an entire term and my child who loved school crying each morning not wanting to go anymore. As daughter became more withdrawn and silent, I still didn't say anything, and blamed her for making a fuss, finding every excuse for this teacher myself as a 'fellow professional'.
    Sometimes, if as a mum you really have a strong gut feeling something is wrong - it probably is: but however impolite you may feel it is, stand up for your child. I was far too polite, said nothing but eventuallly voted with my feet and child is much happier at another school. Meanwhile have heard last school just failed it's Ofsted. But I wish I'd spoken up sooner.

9. invincible

invincible New commenter

I agree but you would speak to the teacher first, wouldn't you?
    I

10. They would if the story were true

11. This really strikes to the heart. I never liked to interfere with what went on at school, but having had to deal with one child disaffected by the 'play' curriculum when said child wanted more out of school than they had experienced at nursery (I taught child at home in the evening in the end and listened with interest to the "has come on amazingly" comments at the next parent teacher meeting), and one who went into school with good S & L skills as reported by nursery and 1st reception teacher, who was reported at end of Y1 as being inattentive and reluctant to answer/ take part in discussions I wish I'd taken the plunge sooner. Now I am a pain parent, constantly making appointments to see how child is progressing and suggesting things they might try to address the concerns they have raised.
    Since their last OFSTED, there has been an almost total change of staff - too late!

12. invincible

invincible New commenter

What story?
    In all my 13 years at the chalkface, I've never met a parent like this one. She has been really ill, her hsuband left her, her son is suffering from it all and is scared of loss. This I understand, have taken on board and have worked with since he came to our school. I have won his trust and he uses me as a pillar. But I still can't get him to work. He suffers from real emotional problems which stem from his mother's projecing all her fears and anxieties onto him. He is a clever kid but he just won't do anything. She even came to me in his first week at school and told me, in no uncertain terms, that it is my job to sort out his behaviour problems. So this is why I complained in my last post that whenever I try yet another method, she runs behind my back to the Head, three times in a week, to complain that he's being treated in the wrong way.
    She's the one who needs help and the son needs a councillor. But she can't or won't see it. It's the woman I really want to kick!

13. invincible

invincible New commenter

Of course I meant counsellor. *paperbag*

14. I wasn't referring to you