1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you wish you could tell parents about school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by educationwriter, Nov 2, 2010.

1. I could so look at any of the classes that I work with in my secondary school and mark those comments up to most of them as well, the look on some of the students faces when they were told that they would have homework every week and that if not completed they do not get to cook the next week, you would have thought that we had asked them to build buckingham palace out of cakes every week until the end of term.
    The best excuse we have ever had for not doing homework was they had to attend a family wedding never mind the students lesson is on a Monday.....really felt like sending a note back saying that is not an excuse she should have completed it on the day it was given but we must not or we are not being supportive enough......pfft, my child manages to get the work done every night so should they.

2. I always tell the parents that it is OK for them to <u>believe</u> everything their kids tell them about what happens at school - as long as they remember I always <u>believe</u> everything their children tell me about what happens at home... I hardly get complaints!

3. LOL!![​IMG] I love this thread! Just those few sentences has given me a great boost tonight!

4. How lovely! Six parents at once all wanting to change their daughters' parts in the Christmas play.
    Yes, I'm sure you think I can help ALL of you!
    Of course we can have 7 Marys.
    No, I know your daughter told me she doesn't want a big speaking part, but I didn't believe her either (the child that was physically sick at Harvest Festival and has been in tears at playtime because she doesn't want to go on stage) because YOU loved being Mary when you were at school.

5. I think some parents today have lost sight of the basic fact that there are two sides to every story. They seem unwilling to consider that somewhere down the line, their little cherub will probably have done something unmentionable which has provoked another child. Most of the allegations of 'bullying' that I investigate result from such provocation. I've lost count of the times I've heard "well, he didn't tell me that." No? Well perhaps you should ASK!!

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The kicking under the table 'incident' finally came to a head after two years when my poor son, in sheer frustration,'accidentally' stood on the girl's toe, which had an ingrowing toenail. I was actually called in to see the head and while I didn't condone what my son had done I did try to suggest that he had been put in a very difficult position, given he's been forced to sit with someone who hurt him all the time, and that maybe the girl had deserved it. And the head said, 'That's exactly what her mum said!' So we were all in agreement yet I had been hauled in to the head's office having been trying to get the seating changed for two years. At lest he never had to sit with her again. They're now in the sixth form and quite good friends!

7. jessifleur

jessifleur New commenter

Have moved from state school to private school and from England to abroad so I've gone from a bunch of rough and ready parents who really supported the school and liked their meetings non sugar coated, to diplomatically ***** footing around - it's a steep learning curve!
    1. Just because you pay for your child to go to school does not make me a member of your 'staff'.
    2. It is not the nanny's fault if your child hasn't done their homework, it is theirs.
    3. You can't buy 'cleverness' for your child - if it were that easy teachers would be billionaires!
    4. I don't get a pay bonus for giving your child detention (really!)
    5. I wish the school wasn't run like a business too but believe me when I say that I don't financially benefit from this.
    6. If you genuinely feel that your child is miserable and you want them to change schools, that is your decision as a parent, but please stop threatening it every time they misbehave.
    Hmmm these are all money related - makes the world go round indeed!
    Thanks to all for cheering up a night when I should be marking... :D

8. At my last parents evening I actually thought one mum was joking when she asked me if I could make her go to bed on time, and then realised she was being completely serious! Wasn't quite sure if she was expecting me to pop round to tell a bedtime story. Once they are home they are your responsibility. Same goes for homework. In lessons I make sure he does his work, at home it's up to you

9. My head always says at the end of his new parents meetings, 'If you only believe half of what your child tells you about school, I'll only believe half of what they say about you and your family', or similar phrase. Usually gets a laugh but makes a good point.

10. "Don't assume that your tax is ensuring your child is being taught by a qualified teacher." Clairobics
    It's so disappointing that this point hasn't been made by every poster. If parents were aware of how much of what parents in every other country I have experience of would expect to be done by a qualified graduate teacher is actually done by unqualified staff, then just possibly they might get together to make an effective political protest about how and why the system fails so many of their offspring.
    Similarly with the point of having 30 pupils in your class. How surprised would parents be (how surprised are you?) to know that one of the few criticisms by the team of Inspectors who spent four days in my Grammar school was that "Many of the Forms are too large, ... with 30 pupils"? That was in 1925, and I suppose they expected rapid improvement. I made the same judgment even before I contemplated becoming a teacher, in the early 60s, and could not have contemplated that every government till nearly a century after that criticism would apparently regard it as an economical feature that parents of State school pupils were too mean or ignorant to object to.

11. Why are teachers, through their Unions, so unable to challenge Government over all those things you so rightly complain about? Every time French Governments have attempted to impose what educationists see as unsuitable policies, their teachers have mobilised, along with over half the parents to come out with them in opposition, and have usually caused them to be abandoned or modified.

12. "I wish I could tell the parents what a con SATs and most levelling assessments are."
    Why can't you? Has expressing your professional opinion on the politics of education become a disciplinary offence? Have you consulted your Union? You might do your colleagues and your pupils a big favour, and get a big payout, if it went to the ECtHR.

13. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Because in Britain, industrial action for political purposes is (rightly IMHO) illegal.

14. Susieross
    When did this Present for Teacher thing begin? It wasn't a feature when I or my children were at school. I was shocked to discover how universal (usually a bottle of more than vino) it was in Romania, not only among the teaching profession, but it was explained, with genuine regret, that it was normal in many countries in Communist times, as the only way of ensuring that one got one's entitlements, and now the expectation is hard to deny. I am opposed to "gratuities" of any kind, and would explain my reasoning to any pupil or student old enough to understand and not be upset.

15. WolfPaul
    Getting thousands of your colleagues and over a million parents (as French teacher unions have done) to march on Parliament, especially at the right moment, is not industrial action, and can be much more effective. Your attitude was not, fortunately, that of Trades Union pioneers.

16. We have only been back at school for 9 weeks. That means there are still 21 children in class who have not yet been Star of the Week. Your child may well be one of them- deal with it.

17. Flo71

Flo71 New commenter

'I think home education is more suited to your child'.

18. Here's a link to the final article:

http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2010/11/12/the-good-parent-guide-by-teachers/

Thank you all for your help with it.

19. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Do you know what? It's pretty good! I know you left out some of the meatier comments, but you got a LOT of the important ones in there - well done!

20. Why thank you Lardylegs!
    I had to leave a few of them off as they were a bit too contentious or specific to a particular situation. Can't wait to see the parents comments back though...should be fun.