1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you wish you could tell parents about school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by educationwriter, Nov 2, 2010.

1. I agree, but in the opposite sense... you're not my friend or my family, so when I introduce myself as Miss Wilson, please don't call me by my first name.

Amen to that!

When I give the whole term to do some work, please don't leave it until the last night. And please don't expect me to "make an exception" and allow your child to hand it in late.

And please, PLEASE do not ever say "If it weren't for your class my child would be on the honour roll" on parent-teacher nights.

2. Just because your child has copied the work off the internet, word for word, it is still plagarism and doesn't become theirs.
    I teach y5 and even though I had a print out of the identical A4 page from the internet Mum insisted it was her child's work..... eventually pointing out the 6 words that her child had actually written right at the bottom!

3. "If you won't believe everything your child says happens at school, I won't believe everything your child says happens at home!"

ha ha I like that one!!

4. pixel

pixel New commenter

Your child will not have to put their Year 3 reading book on their CV.

5. Hi,
    I would add that teachers do not have a lot of spare time and thus, do not waste time calling parents, writing to parents etc. If a teacher makes contact with a parent, they are not doing it for fun or to fill in time...it actually is because there is a concern. My time is precious - why would I waste it on 'phony' problems...or lies.
    Cheers

6. Yes, yes, yes, yes yes, yes YES!!!!!!!!

7. And can I add "I am not picking on your child. I do not even dislike your child. If I tell him to be quiet three times in one class, it is because he is being disruptive and stopping me from effectively teaching the other 20 students."

8. How about "children at this school who smoke are tacitly encouraged by their year head to do so as they obviously have "a problem" and to stop them would interfere with their "rights", though their teachers are told to report them."
    Not sure what part of "caring" it is when we encourage cancer etc.

9. As a a parent, my blood boils when teachers mention the other 29 kids in the class. True, but the only one that is my responsibility is my child, and I'm entitled to believe the teacher is able to deal with him on an individual basis. It is incredibly defensive and unprofessional to respond in this way to parents, not to mention very poor psychology; it's not that difficult to give 100% of your attention to one particular child when confronted by parental concern. If you learn how to do this, you will get parents on your side, which can only be a good thing.
    As a teacher, of course you have to divide your attention equally between 30 children, and I know that is not always easy. I, too, have been irritated by over-anxious or unresonably demanding parents, but my experience on the other side of the table has taught me how to respond professionally to produce a positive outcome. Take the advice of an old hand and never, never mention the other 29 children to a parent!!

10. Two in particular spring to mind:
    'In spite of what some red top newspapers would have you believe, teachers are neither underworked - school holidays are only holidays for the kids - nor overpaid for what they do.'
    'Parents might try and do the unthinkable and remember what they were like at school. What makes them think their kids will be any different? Just a matter of putting yourself the other side of the fence.....'

11. Agree with that - I'm teaching in a school abroad and I had one of the kids (English is 2nd language) crying during the second spelling test of the year. Turns out her mum had shouted at her because she only got 2 or 3 out of 10 right in the first one - nice support there!

12. Brilliant post Beestoni! Please, please, pretty please would you consider posting it to netmums/mumsnet etc (under an assumed name, of course)?

13. Hi,

Type in 'school answering machine' on youtube - kinda relates to what you are asking [​IMG]

14. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Nice one!

15. Very well said! So sad how it seems like some parents take the attitude that we are their enemies when in fact we are spending so many hours with their children, and even marking their work, yes - even at home! One big mistake I make is that I generalize from one comment one parent makes and assume all other parents are feeling the same way. Does this happen to anyone else? Wouldn't it be nicer if parents sent nice notes and positive feedback besides those other little notes of "Please help my son find his cap that accidentally disappeared from his bag"?

16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

What about things parents might want to tell teachers? For example, it gives a really bad impression of a school for its website to be littered with grammatical errors. Or that we can't afford yet another trip this term but we'll have to find the money somehow so our child doesn't miss out. Or why has my child had to sit with the same child, who you know kicks him constantly, for two years, because he is a good influence on her? Or why has the class done practice SATs papers for a whole term when several of the children were getting decent level fives at the end of year 5?
    No one is perfect. We all say and write things in the heat of the moment and don't always think how it will look to the other person, or that the request might be unreasonable. People tend to let things just go along smoothly until something goes wrong. That's life. It doesn't mean they don't appreciate what you do all of the time when things are going right. I have huge admiration for teachers but they are just as prone to making stupid mistakes as we parents are.

17. *******So for instance, parents should remember not to believe everything they hear about school from their child and bear this in mind before piling in and complaining to the teacher.****

I love this! I think a great idea to add would be: Just as you don't expect a teacher to believe everything that's said about students' homelife!!!!

18. If you show your child 'who is boss' by insisting that they have a coat/shoes etc. which they don't want to wear/fear they will be made fun of for having, it will be QUICKLY "LOST" and your anger to the teacher will have no bounds because "it was only bought last week". If your child doesn't want to wear it, no other child will want to either SO IT HASN'T BEEN STOLEN and it is not the teacher's fault.

19. it is not my job to make sure your daughter eats all her lunch every day. i am too busy NOT eating my own lunch at lunchtime to do this.

20. here here to the shoelaces