1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you wish you could tell parents about school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by educationwriter, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Brilliant post MisterFlibble.

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Maybe if our troll friend thinks he can do a better job, he should make the switch to primary. Although a basic grasp of English wouldn't go amiss.

3. I have been looking forward to listening to Jacqui Wilson this evening but, having started reading these accounts I haven't heard a word she's said...you are all making me smile, laugh and, most of all, nod with agreement...
    I'm sorry, secondary mfl, but EVERYTHING that has been 'said' above rings totally true. I am a truly dedicated primary teacher with (thank God) a lot of patience but parents, and one in particular this week, test one's patience with their selfish ignorance more than I can say and certainly more than I ever expected when I entered this profession as a second career.
    I have many things I could add but much of it has been said so I would like to thank you all for the reassurance that I am not alone in my utter dismay that parents can be so short-sighted; is it just fear of authority that they don't think...we're on their side for goodness' sake!!!!!
    Thank-you for letting me let off a little steam!

4. What a fantastic and sobering post Misterflibble.
    I think we parents just get rather wrapped up in our own child/ children's needs and find it hard to keep perspective. Sometimes I have to shake myself and say to myself the fact my son's book hasn't been changed all week probably doesn't really matter.
    And yes all too many don't realise that you lot don't head home at 3pm to read novels or debunk to the pub. I think it's hard for outsiders to understand quite how much paperwork/ preparation/ thinking that goes on after 'school' hours.

5. What a badly written post - call myself a writer?!?
    It's late so that's my excuse.

6. But do you know why it doesn't matter that it hasn't been changed? Reading isn't just about recognising the patterns that make up letters that make up words - if it were, then as soon as a child can recognise (and show this by reading out loud to someone) all the words in a book, then great - change the book. But reading is so much more than just being able to read the letters. It's like reading a foreign language that you don't know - you can read the words out loud more or less, but have no clue what they mean. By studying that bok for a period of time, you manage to learn what they say and what they mean. So changing the book every day/every other day isn't a good thing at all. That's the thing I wish parents got - for some bizarre reason it is the one thing that seems tobe universal in education, whether the school is in the North or South of this country, is a middle class, inner city, rough as hell, nice as pie or anything in between school, in all those schools there have been the parents (as in most of those that will make contact with the school, even if it is grudgingly) that only seem to care about how often a book is changed. And also don't get that children are allowed to read other things as well!!
    (Disclaimer - obviously it depends on the year/school/system etc in place - every school I've taught in though has approached reading in this way, rather than 'they can say the words out loud, so they must be given a new book').
    But overall, as it covers everything else - just get that we aren't all horrid evil things, we want what you do - the best for your child (because even if we dislike them/don't love them to pieces - if we don't make them make those precious levels progress over the course of the year, we are for the high jump - so we make blooming sure we teach them properly and do everything possible to help them progress, and even the most cold hearted thing will probably agree a miserable child does not make for a child that is progressing).

7. As a parent, a TA and a daughter of a primary school teacher, whilst i have had a few issues with my childs school/teacher and communication/reading books I would never say that any of these posts were unfounded or that any of the posters are showing up the proffession.
    I know all to well how much work teachers have- how they are lucky to exit the building by 4:30pm and how they are always in by 7:30-8am, how even when they get home they spend hours working on planning, resources, attempting to tailor it to fit their class and the individuals in the class, worrying about the child that just doesn't get it.
    How dare anyone say they don't care or work hard- granted there is a minority that might not just as in every other job but believe me this is one of those jobs that if you don't love it you will struggle.
    I would be the first to bring any parental issues i had to the teacher but generally when it's explanied to me then i have no problems with it.

On here people mostly get rid of their frustration- it is a forum to allow teachers and other staff in schools to do just that so leave them be.

8. Mrfibble what a brilliant post!!
    I have a very demanding set of parents this year (the kids themselves are fine!!) & it's nice to know I am not alone. I would suggest MFL teacher is missing the humour in this thread & also the point made in many posts that WE DO CARE about the kids.
    The best parental request I have ever had was last year, when an irate mother asked why I couldnt stop the nit-crisis in my class- hadn't I realised the obvious solution was for me to treat all the children at school, on the same day, myself?!!! I don't imagine many MFL teachers get asked to perform tasks like that too often : )

9. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You should have asked her to come in to help out, since she was such an expert.

10. I simply want my parents to know that I got into teaching to do just that. I want to educate your child. I want your child to suceed academically and personally. That is why I work so hard, why i spend so much time planning and resourcing, why I am in school when I am sick and why it can be so frustrating when the effort we as teachers put in is not replicated/appreciated by parents.

Also my name is not 'teacher' please do call me 'teacher' please do not tell your child to call me teacher.

11. Jinxsgirl. Perhaps just call them 'parent' back in revenge!?

12. You have no idea how tempting that is! Can you imagine if i called the pupils child!?! I do have a colleague who calls me 'girl' I am not sure which is more irritating!

13. Quite simply: I am a professional. Just like a lawyer, accountant or doctor. I am fully trained, closely monitored by the school (we're expecting an OFSTED, so I've been observed 4 times already this year) and I work hard to do the best job I can. Please treat me as if this isthe case. Thank you.

14. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Some well made observations in this thread. Congratulations to all.
    To return to the OP: I wish I could tell the parents what a con SATs and most levelling assessments are.

15. By the way, sorry about the confusing name change - writingaboutstartingschool was an old screen name.

16. Whilst I'm here, can any of you tell me about year 1 target setting? Is it compulsory or optional for teachers to do this? I assumed it was compulsory given you have to show added value and that you've moved kids along however many sub-levels. Is that right?
    When would baseline type assessments normally have been done in year 1 e.g. during the first half term?

17. It's pretty busy during the school day so Iam afraid that I cannot keep track of every sweatshirt/cardigan/piece of PE kit in my class.

120 children in this school, all wearing the same sweatshirt. Your child has lost theirs. I have a box full. Is it named? Is it the smelly one that he obviously wore for at least a week? Is it the one with breakfast all down it? or is it the one with dribble? BUY A JUMPER, WRITE THEIR NAME ON THE LABEL IN AN INDELIBLE PEN. Then, and only then, will you get it back! Ditto, P.E. kit, swimming costume and towel, jacket, lunchbox, book bag (all the same) etc etc.

Whilst on the subject of bags...before phoning the secretary to tell her that no-one had informed you that there was a trip/parents evening/fancy dress etc....please check your child's bag and read the 100 letters that are lurking at the bottom of his/her bag.

Also....if we have a non school uniform day for charity, this means that you are supposed to send in money for the charity (even if it is just 10p), not just send your child to school in his designer clothes (complete with dribble!)!!!!

18. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

I wish i could tell them that I do NOT have time to write the details of the homework in 30 boys planners in my GCSE class. And that a GCSE student should be capable of writing in his own homework. And that even when i DID write in the homework for him once, he STILL didnt do it so why would i bother again?!!

19. Great idea,

1. Your child might tell you that everyone is doing it, going there, has it........ THEY DON'T!
    2. Your child might tell you that every parent has said, "Yes" .......THEY HAVEN'T
    3. Your child might delight in telling you all the terrible things that others have been doing and thus allowing you a moment of relief than your child hasn't been involved. HAVE A MOMENT OF RELIEF before you learn that it has actually been your child involved. AND PLEASE,PLEASE don't use your child as the tea time entertainment to trash others.
    4. Your child might delight in telling you all about what this teacher is doing and what that teacher has not done etc. PLEASE, treat it as office gossip. All of us need to learn when and where gossip is appropriate.
    5. Keep the lines of communication with your child open. Listen, accept his/her perception and seek a second opinion.

This has the makings of an interesting contribution for all of us.

20. I think this sums up what I would like parents to know about me: I have never, and will never, let my feelings about a child's personality affect how I treat them. I am a trained professional, who spends a great deal of time and effort to ensure that every child in my class gets the same opportunity and treatment, and to ensure that I do not hold their behaviour against them. When I phone home to tell you that they have recently been misbehaving, hearing 'Well, it must be something you have against them' or 'Well, they have no problem with {other teacher}' it completely undermines my position. I am not a whiny git who is phoning just to tell you how crappy your child is. I am phoning so that we can communicate and work together because I would like your child to succeed and am hoping you might have insight to offer me about what inspires them.