1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you wish you could tell parents about school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by educationwriter, Nov 2, 2010.

1. p.s. Beestoni - love the mugs line!

2. 90% of the time - it's not been "nicked" or "stolen" - it's wherever Johnny left/dumped/abandoned it and he can't be bothered to go look for it. (A colleague once had an itemized bill for everything "stolen" from a child at school - further searches revealed it was all festering chucked on top of his locker where he couldn't be bothered to pick it up)
    The Oxford Reading Tree is NOT a competitive sport. And no, we didn't name them those silly names either - you ain't pinning Kipper on us! (one of the few bizarre names I haven't had to teach yet come to think of it)
    They might not be telling 100% of the truth, and when you come down ****** and blinding they've been hard done by - they're definitely NOT going to be telling 100% of the truth next time.
    We don't personally go through lunchboxes at dinnertime being the celery police - despite what the Daily Mail says - it's not the TEACHERS.
    We also don't sit there on a night thinking of ways to perpetually scar your children emotionally for life - despite what you might think from reading some of the flack hurled at us.
    We're as sick of the incessant nits bouncing around the class as you are - we can't do anything about the parents who won't treat their kids, and we get the blighters too - so yes, we're sick of it.

3. eread1

eread1 New commenter

Contrary to popular belief, we do NOT roll up at school at ten to 9 OR leave at 3.20!

Likewise, we earn our holidays, yes they are lovely, but we did not choose them and they do have their down sides! If you feel <strike>jealous</strike> upset by this please remember it is not our fault!
    Always remember that your child will tell us far more than you would like them to, so your comments and opinions about our school / teaching methods / add any 'gripe' you may have.. do come back to us! ;-)
    As a parent myself I appreciate it is difficult to get childcare when your child is ill but I really don't want flu / vomiting / the runs - insert any kind of unpleasant illness, so please look after them at home.

4. It takes hours to write reports. It takes you 5 minutes to read the report and write a quick response to thank me for the time I have put into informing you of your child's progress and how proud I am of them etc etc.....the fact that you can't be bothered to even acknowledge you have read the report really p*sses me off and makes me wonder why I spent so much time writing them!

5. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

What a superb thread. I feel like I've vented my spleen just by reading it!

Beestoni - fantastic!

6. Either teach your child to tie their shoelaces or get them velcro ones!

No, your child (SEN) does not need a tutor, your money would be better spent taking them out every weekend and giving them new experiences, therefore something new to talk/write about, equally something free - try talking to them....

7. If I am not trying to help your child improve, why am I spending my evenings and weekends planning and resourcing lessons for the class, marking the children's work and thinking of ways to help them/targets/IEPs etc?
    I can't actually control 30 children's movements - they need to take responsibility for themselves and if your child does something they know perfectly well they shouldn't do it isn't my fault!
    If your child doesn't have their letter/homework/jumper it is usually their fault for not listening or taking care. If it is my fault I will admit it and apologise, so if I don't it isn't!
    I agree with the person who said that it is rude to go to the head without speaking to me first. All that happens is that the head comes and speaks to me, then parrots back my response to you, so you might as well just speak to me yourself.
    Being rude to me isn't going to make me any more likely to do what you want, in fact I may get so sick of you moaning that I will not feel like spending my time preparing to teach your children and it may have the opposite effect to the one you want.
    Results are not a competition, other parents don't need to know what your child got for the end of year tests and it doesn't matter whether it was higher or lower than your best friend's child's results - what matters is that your child is working hard and improving.
    Please don't expect your child's writing to be perfect when they are only 8 years old and put pressure on them to get every spelling right and use perfect handwriting - that isn't the most important part of writing anyway and certainly won't help them to get better.

8. If you send in your parents evening slip with a specific time written on it you can bet your money on the fact that I am not giving you that specific time.

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Beestoni - great response - one for the archives, I feel.....

Parents.... I am NOT your friend. Please DO NOT call me by my Lardyname unless you have permission. I am Mrs Teacher until you are told otherwise. Also I do not know where his sweatshirt it.

10. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

or even where his sweatshirt IS. (It's a Wine Night, I'm on a course tomorrow. [Deal with it Daily Telegraph Woman......])

11. A brilliant thread!
    If you don't believe everything your child says about school, I promise not to believe everything he tells me about home.
    I have 9 children in my class called Mohammed and you are wearing a veil which only shows your eyes - please tell me your surname when asking about his day.
    The school day does not have an extra half an hour in it to allow us to light candles on your cake, sing happy birthday, cut and distribute the cake - having first checked the allergy list against the ingredients.
    Asthma is not a status symbol, your child has never wheezed or coughed in my class. Unless you are a doctor you cannot diagnose asthma yourself.
    Teach your children to say please and thank you - I know that I'm paid to be here but that doesn't mean that your children can be rude to me.
    If it is raining put a coat on your child.
    If it is hot your child does not need a vest, t-shirt and tights underneath their school uniform.
    When we go on a trip do not pack your child a lunch which consists of chocolate and sweets - I don't like cleaning vomit up.
    Only a very few children pass their 11plus / entrance exams - be realistic.
    I do not tutor children after school - even one as "special" as yours.
    If I call you in to talk to you about your child's behaviour then it is not "normal" for a child of their age - it is a concern
    My family situation is none of your business
    Yes I did shout at your child - he was doing something incredibly dangerous and I wanted to stop him stabbing a pair of compasses into the socket before he became black and crispy.
    If homework is handed in late I won't mark it - the chance has passed.
    Your child's ballet recital/ football match is not more important than their end of year assessments, they cannot take time off for them.
    Holidays should be taken during holiday time - I am not going to recap two weeks of work because you were in Tenerife instead of school.
    School starts at 8:50 not 9:00 or 9:15 or whatever other time you wander in...and how far away you live is not an issue - you knew the rules when you joined, I will ask your child why they are late, and I won't take them out of class on their own to do it - their late arrival has disrupted my class enough.
    I have only ever taught 7 children who were genuinely gifted - your child is not one of them
    The most successful children I have taught are above average intelligence AND HARDWORKING
    Get your child's sight tested on a regular basis
    ditto hearing
    Teach your child to wash and clean their teeth
    Wash your children's clothes - once a term is not enough, it's disgusting
    After school clubs are not free childcare

12. Some of these are making me laugh out loud Luvinit. Yuck at the idea of some of the kids' clothes only being washed once a term.
    Thank you once again. I've finished the piece now but will link to it once it's online.

13. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Don't assume that your tax is ensuring your child is being taught by a qualified teacher?

14. reddevil

reddevil Occasional commenter

Actually no, we're not paid extra to do after school clubs. We do it because we enjoy it.

15. Some of you, guys made really disgusting comments about parents and the advices you actually give here dishonor the role of the primary school teacher as being one of the most important figures in a child's early intellectual life.

I am really really disappointed by most of those comments.
    They show lack of depth in the mentality of the primary school staff and a total absence of pedagogical and psychological understanding of children's' development!

Thank goodness I am a teacher (a secondary MFL one!!!) so I work with my year 2 child consistently every day after school in order for him to improve and develop and I don't rely on his teacher which is very very very similar to you!!!!!!!!!!

16. Have you actually read the thread properly? Or are you from the lazy breed of trolls?

17. I would bet my bottom dollar that primary teachers here have a greater understanding of a child's educational development than you would ever encounter in a career teaching secondary mfl!

18. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Congratulations, npetkova, for remembering your username and password for so long after you registered. Which bridge did you say you lived under?

19. ok - those are things you wish you could tell parents in relation to their child's schooling and how they shouldwork with it/feel about it
    but things you wish you could tell parents about your school:
    we allocate half a dozen ta's to sit with/follow arounnd the school completely damaged children
    because they don't have statements because the local authority won't give them
    and we have no EBD primary in the borough
    because the local authority won't spend the money
    and that really is better for your child, however much they need a ta in the classroom when they are struggling with the teaching
    because it's better than a damaged child hitting them over the head with a chair
    no - it hasn't been a particularly bad week, actually

20. Come back when you've actually had some experience in the primary teaching world, the insane expectations and demands some parents make of you, and the utter utter obsession with being on a higher reading book band than Fred round the corner's kid.
    Of course I actually doubt your story about being a MFL teacher at all.
    But yes, the brutal, unpalatable truth is - if a parent constantly and relentlessly undermines and belittles the teacher and school - why on earth is their child going to have any notion at all of doing the things the school request of him/her (which may not always be what they want to do - sadly, however much we bend over backwards there are elements of what we need to teach that may not be as interesting as jabbing your mate in the ear with a pencil). If they head down that path - how are they going to achieve anything in school in terms of qualifications when they've learnt that school is something they don't have to do anything they don't want to in?
    You also might not like the fact there are thirty kids in the class - and surprisingly, each one of those thirty kids is the child of someone who thinks they're the most important person in the world... so that's thirty very important people wanting the attention of one not at all important person. I'm sure even a MFL teacher can do the mathematics on that one.

Biggest thing I'd like parents to realize:
    We actually do want your child to do well. We work in a world with limited resources, sometimes limited support from SMT, ridiculous ever-changing goalposts from LEAs and Ofsted. We don't sit there thinking of ways to inconvenience you - we sit and think of ways to make the ever-increasing amount of knowledge we're expected to get into small minds fun and accessible. We fight against children with behaviour and emotional issues so extreme that being in mainstream schools may be completely inappropriate for both them, and for the children in the class with them, we lie awake at night trying to figure out a strategy that might unlock a really challenging case and help them calm down and learn, we lie awake at night trying to think of ways to prevent very disturbed children lashing out at other children - and we put ourselves in the firing line and take the kicking to protect the other children (I've seen my old head beaten black and blue by one very disturbed child on several occasions). We get sworn at, we get blamed for everything wrong in society, we get insulted, we get lambasted as workshy 9-3ers who just do it for an easy number when the reality is it's anything but. Most of us have tales of what the job's done to our physical, emotional and mental health - yet we keep returning to it for the buzz of the lightbulb moment when the penny drops and a child catches on - and for the thrill of sending them on to the next year able to do things they couldn't do previously.
    But we're not Superman - we can't fix everything in society and we can't split ourselves in thirty pieces.