1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you wear to school?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by barries, Mar 15, 2009.

1. i am 46
    wear a dress every day (not the same one) I have about 40 frocks - saves having to scrabble for separates in the morning.
    will wear anything nice- don't careif it is asda or South-
    mostly get bargains in tkmaxx - love getting new ones.
    got one today £20 in wallis sale.

2. Just jeans, a smartish top, cardigan and uggs. early 20s.

3. Normally black Next ankle boots or brown from Office (dependent on trouser colour naturally), now the shoes are being dusted off for spring, smart trousers from various shops (more often Next sale) or smart long skirt, smart-casual top - some from Next, M&S have got some smart but trendy tops fom Primark and Matalan and a smart cardigan if it's cold. If it's really cold I'll wear my hot pink Gilet from Joules (my classroom gets cold!).
    I'm 28 and a Year 1 teacher so not going to wear anything expensive as most of my work clothes end up getting paint / glue down them and bobbly from sitting on the carpet etc!!
    As long as you look smart and professional but above all feel comfy it shouldn't matter if your cardi cost £3.68 or £30.68!

4. What is it about this thread that is attracting so many 'new' posters?

5. I feel a bit offended!! I just thought it sounded quite interesting! Especially as prior to being a teacher I worked in Marketing where clothes and fashion were a big thing - and now I like to look good but actually practical! No way am I toddling about in killer heels after 5-6 year olds!! How times change!! Plus I'm in a school where I'm the youngest there by about 30 years so my fashion is a bit different to the rest of the school...!

6. Age: 30s
    My school wardrobe is: 3 identical pairs of Dotty P's black trousers (full length in winter and cropped for the summer) and loads of tops. I tend to buy posh tops off ebay!
    I wear black ankle boots all winter and treat myself to a pair of Birkenstock sandals every Easter.
    Hope that helps! I never wear skirts (KS1 teaching - not practical).

7. What is there to be offended about?
    Only trolls normally have such a ridiculous reaction!

8. I must still be in character then from the Three Billy Goats Gruff last week! [​IMG]

9. It featured in the newsletter dontcha' know..

10. Black trousers usually (either suit from M&S or linen mix, M&S again). Sometimes daringly wear brown! Black boots in winter (Clarks or Hush Puppies) some kind of comfy pumps in summer (like Doc Marten's). Loose shirts in summer (usually linen) or I get really hot and a variety of smart jumpers, shirts or cardis in winter. Often with a funky scarf and always chunky, bright jewellery. Most work tops from H&M or Primark. Sometime wear a suit jacket too. Always made up, but rarely bother to do anything with my hair other than tie it back. My hair usually gets dyed far brighter red than usual in the first week of the summer holidays! I am 35.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

If I wear linen or linen mix I end up looking as though I'm wearing my pyjamas to work.

12. I have ejoyed this posting very much - Why?
    Because, at my age (57 oops didnt mean to tell you!)
    I have worn all sorts to school - some for fun , some for stimulation of my own well being of course! From hot pants to minis and sublime to rediculous - I have been there!
    Yet when attending interviews the power suit still wins - but strangely you don't wear it day to day in Primary! Well I didnt. Oh and what fun no school uniform day - the brain runs riot!
    Most of all the greatest fun in my career is to dress accordingly - well any excuse for any new wardrobe according to my husband!
    I must agree - the plain black trousers must be the female teacher's most important and versatile tool of teaching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yet when I first started teaching - I did go and ask the head in my nqt year could we possibly wear trousers to school and eventually was granted permission to do so and have ever since!!

13. learningyoghurt

learningyoghurt New commenter

I am a clothing disaster zone so I keep it simple.
    A nice jumper (by-the-by, isn't 'jumper' an ace word? I've just realised how much I like it) trousers or long or knee-length skirts, depending on which have been ironed and which have developed holes in embarrassing places. Killer heels when I want to be intimidating and tall, and Docs when I'm tired.

14. This thread has been so interesting.....

We are so lucky at our school. Pretty much anything goes as long as there are no visible thongs, cleavage or jeans. Most of my colleagues have school T-shirts with school logos like the childrens ones but bigger and live in combats or the staple 'black trousers'. Shoes can be anything although crocs in all colours were the in thing last summer and uggs or ugglookalikes this winter.
    We are an infants school so seem to spend most of our time on the floor and often end up covered in mud/paint/glue etc etc. All the teachers are under 34. If people 'dress up' it usually means the governors or some parents are coming in!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

*shudders*

16. Sounds vile, eh. But comfort comes first when you're on your feet all day - and as I found working in an SLD school pumps are out of the question as you get trod on so bl00dy much.

17. In a Good Way, of course. ;-)
    I wear practical and comfortable; mostly cotton jersey t-shirt type tops (don't like gaping spaces between buttons), cardis, which usually come off the minute I hit my class (I'm at the 'hot' age), skirts from just below knee to just above ankle, trousers, usually flats, sometimes heels (with longer trousers or shorter skirts). Almost all my school clothes come either from M&S or Land's End. Quality, (the zips won't slip down) and unremarkable - I don't want to wear clothes which 'distract' the pupils (secondary, so can't be too frumpy either!)
    Basically, at 53, keeping cool is my no 1 'issue' with work clothes.

18. Today I shall wear a black dress (tres posh), black tights, boots and a black cardigan.
    I always wear smart on Monday - Thursday, then on Friday wear black jeans and a smart top.
    I work with very young children but am assistant head in an affluent catchement. Appearances matter to these parents.
    In previous schools I have been much scruffier.
    I'm 44.

19. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

I'm sure there has been a bout of anger from men in this post, so i'll leave it.

I'm 29, and if i showed up in anything less than a suit, i'd get fired, or at least disciplinary. in secondary i think it shows resepect for the kids as much as respect for you. if you look the part, then the kids are less likely to mess with you.

I understand that younger ages you can't always go for a suit, but it is a level of professionalism. My missus who is a primary school teacher wouldn't dream of wearing jeans or uggs to school, she has sensible shoes, smart trousers and a "nice" top, nothing revealing etc.

20. I am puzzled by the number of posters who have said that they work with R/Y1, so inevitably get covered in glue/paint/pva/snot(?).
    I have generally taught infants and just keep an apron or two at school to cover my clothes whenever anything messy is out. I get paint on something maybe once or twice a year and it has generally come out in the wash. Once I had to take something to the dry cleaners when I got some marker pen on a jacket. To me, it isn't a big enough issue to stop me from wearing clothes I really like.
    I personally think the biggest factor affecting what I wear to school is the temperature of the building. In my last job my classroom was so cold that I wore skiing thermals, a long sleeved teeshirt, a jumper and a faux-sheepskin gilet, tights, socks and trousers all throughout the winter. Yes, parents complained about the cold and no, nothing could be done apparently! In the end we brought in a portable storage heater, which improved matters slightly.