1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you wear to school?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by barries, Mar 15, 2009.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Sorry, that post was in reply to PFFs pst - thought I'd quoted her but obviously now!

2. my clothes are mainly from next but i buy from supermarkets too- i dont think it matters as long as clothes are smart
    does your school have a dress code?- we have agreed that we dont wear blue denim but i think that length of skirts and amount of cleavage need to be considered
    i am mid 40's so probably considered an old fuddy by many teachers

3. It wouldn't be acceptable where I work.

4. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Carnhot can I ask if you teach in primary or secondary?
    I guess its each school to their own but to be honest I've always had more positive reactions regarding smartness when I wear something like that compared to a suit. Maybe its just because suits are so 'run of the mill' now though.

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Surely the full length trousers would look less silly?

6. Where we are it is already in the mid 20's each day. We are allowed to wear cropped trousers or tailored shorts, so I have several different types of each, mostly from Primark last summer. I also have a selection of 'posh' filp flops and balllet style pumps. I wear a t shirt style top or a blouse but for parents evenings I wear full length suit trousers, and real shoes. sun glasses are an obligatory extra, always from the local market but copies of decent brands.
    Personally I think that so long as you look smart and are comfortable, then what you wear shouldn't be an issue.

7. I buy almost all of my school (and out of) clothes from charity shops! So, trousers in winter, skirts and dresses in the summer, but almost always makes I couldn't possibly afford otherwise! I love a bargain, and since I'm in a private school, as long as the mums, <a>or[/URL] probably grandmas (I'm 46) don't notice I feel good and look smart. Year One, so usually covered in snot or paint anyway!

8. I seem to have two different "work wardrobes" The first consists of stretch trousers and long polo type shirts as a hangover from my time in Reception/Yr1 when I seemed to spend most of my time crawling around on the floor or covered in paint, playdough and PVA glue. The second is my "grown up"wardrobe now I teach Yrs2/3, mainly long skirts and boots with thin jumpers or tidy t -shirts. We have a definite "no jeans" rule, but otherwise it's pretty informal ( unless I'm interviewing or showing parents around in which case I make sure I've got my grown up clothes on!)

9. Love it.

As for me, smocks over maternity trousers all the way. Before pregnancy, I was a bit more adventurous. And stylish. And could wear heels. And was generally more attractive.

Waaaah.

10. Don't worry I wear many clothes from charity shops, prices ranging from &pound;1.00 to &pound;3.00. I work in a science lab so my clothes get wrecked. Usually trousers and jumper in the winter, trousers and blouse in the summer. Boots in the winter, shoes of many descriptions and colours in the summer. Clothes not from the charity shop are usually ones I've purchased for wearing at home from Asda, Dorothy Perkins and Primark which then get relegated to work. Oh by the way I'm 42.

11. *******, what do you mean by...
    Has someone made a comment, or is someone ridiculing your clothes? If that is the case, this isn't a dress code issue, it is about someone else being rude, and what you do to stop them doing it again.

12. RJR...yes I wear those too.
    Those are the trousers that get commented on when I wear them at work, mostly about looking too smart and making everyone else look ****.
    The children often comment too...'oooh miss has her posh clothes on today' 'miss are you going to the pub after work'

13. I teach in secondary. I think those look fine, though they wouldn't look good on me. My bosses would not accept them, though.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I think city shorts are the work of the devil and are truly horrible. I've never seen anyone look really good in them, not even young, slim women.

15. For some reason, those shorts remind me of Glasgow...

16. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Each to their own I guess :) I personally don't like them with flat shoes but wear them with heels quite often. Depends how you wear them I guess - like anything. I will continue to wear them in the spring/autumn and receive comments about looking smart hehe!

17. I have to say for the most part you all sound like stereotypical teachers: suits and practical shoes!
    I am well known at my school for my choice of clothes and makeup (I just love red lippy).
    I love clothes and can't believe that people would choose to wear hideously awful cheap suits just because they're at work!
    We spend the majority of our time at work, why not look nice?
    My clothes come from anywhere: Topshop, Miss S, Primark, ASOS, Warehouse and even Matalan (I bought a lovely bright red and white polka dot blouse from there yesterday).

18. The key word there being 'practical'. Why torture ourselves in something impractical?
    You think this is a good thing?
    Which poster said they didn't?

19. I always look nice.
    I never wear a suit to school, can't think of anything worse to be wearing when you are chasing your EBD children across the field or crawling around on the floor building trains with autistic children in the class!

20. I would want to be known in school for improving behaviour/raising attainment etc. I would not want to be well known for my choice of clothes, even though I am clothe obsessed!