1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you wear to school?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by barries, Mar 15, 2009.

1. I have to ask because I feel picked on a bit on this. Its all because of my £3 .68 cardi from an online catalogue innit?
    So what do you wear to school? Skirt , trousers, tops and shoes please. In detail and where do you get them from. Would also be interested in your age ( but thats being a bit ageist) see if there is a correlation.[​IMG]

2. I have to ask because I feel picked on a bit on this. Its all because of my £3 .68 cardi from an online catalogue innit?
    So what do you wear to school? Skirt , trousers, tops and shoes please. In detail and where do you get them from. Would also be interested in your age ( but thats being a bit ageist) see if there is a correlation.[​IMG]

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Clothes.

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Suit, shirt, tie.
    Tesco.

5. Shop at M & S and Next for school clothes predominantly, usually wear suits or dresses. often wear separates but they tend to be "real life" clothes that once have been worn a bit then get relegated to school.

6. Oops forgot to add mid 30s

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

In winter,mostly trousers,tops,cardigans and ankle boots. When it gets warmer,linen trousers or long skirt (no tights with a long skirt),blouse or top,sandals. I'm 47.
    I mostly get my clothes from Asda/Tesco/M&Co/Sainsbury

8. Per Una, Monsoon, East, Fat Face - smart(ish) casual, very occasionally a suit. I don't wear trousers to work. Soon I will be shaving the legs and getting the Birkenstocks out!

9. Oh, I'm late 40s. I also buy from Tesco and Asda - though I'm more and more wanting to make sure the clothes I buy haven't originated in a sweat shop somewhere.

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Ok, I'll bite! ;)
    I'm approaching 33.

I wear, from the bottom up:
    Ankle boots - my current pair are Hush Puppies, with a one inch heel, but in the past I've worn other brands with a slightly higher heel. I've also worn no-holes crocs for work and nobody noticed... but it really helped my sore back!
    In summer I wear sandals of varying designs, depending on what I have been able to find in my size. I often take them off in my classroom when the temperature goes over about 30.
    Socks from Sainsbury's or similar. Plain black. Not with sandals, obviously.
    Trousers - usually linen or cotton, though occasionally poly-cotton. Usually boot cut but sometimes straight leg. Varying shades of brown, usually darker in winter, or navy or black.
    Knickers. Not a thong... not that it matters.
    A blouse - often of the crinkle-cut variety so I don't have to iron it. Varying colours. Short sleeved.
    A vest - from M&S that clings and covers my underwear and cleavage.
    A bra in a colour that won't show through my blouse any more than is unavoidable.

I think that about covers it. Covers me?

11. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I teach Year 6 in a Junior school.
    I either wear black trousers, dark cords or below-knee length skirts, Monsoon-type, with an assortment of simple casual tops, long and capped sleeve. I always wear flat shoes, some kind of pump or ballerina style.
    I am 25 years old.
    *******, I was joking earlier when I mentioned the twin set and pearls, by the way!

12. I also have been known to go barefoot at work.

13. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

Always suit trousers (various pairs, plain black, pinstripe, navy pinstripe, grey, etc), and a blouse. I have a couple of very nice blouses which are lovely, but due to bigish bust, are low cut, then I wear a plain black or white t-shirt underneath. Generally brought from peacocks, new look (I seriously have no money). Black shoes. Have been known to wear cardie in cold weather too.

14. Next if I can afford it, primark if I can't. Got a few lovely cardies from Primark a few weeks ago for £6 each. In fact, I bought 3 cardies, 1 pair of black trousers and a top for a grand total of £32!
    Tend to alternate between either black or brown trousers (cos that's just how rock 'n roll I am!), simple V-neck T-shirts and a cardi. Shoes - black round toe 3 inch heels from River Island are gonna be worn until they begin to smell or the leather wears off the bottom!
    I'm 25

15. Just below knee skirts or dresses, often M&S. Tesco & BHS get my custom too, and I got a nice top from Peacocks at the weekend. Dresses/tops usually have a V neck or crossover, and are worn with a vest top to conceal cleavage. Boots or shoes with a slight heel, except that I turned my ankle very badly in October and wore totally flat suede boots for ages, as they were the only thing I could stand, let alone walk in. I don't think they were right for school, but needs must when the devil drives.
    My favourite "posh" shops are Wallis and (sob) Principles, which is now no more.

I'm 45.

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I try and vary what I wear. Most days I wear trousers with a T-shirt type top and cardigan. I have jackets but have been wearing them less. If I'm wearing trousers I wear my very unstylish but comfortable Ecco ankle boots. If I'm in a dress or skirt then I wear my Hush Puppy knee-high boots. They still have a cardie on top.
    My clothes are from Monsoon, Gap, Tesco, and M&S in the main. I do have a few bits of Laura Ashley left over from a previous, better paid career.
    Our school is notorious for letting female teachers wear whatever they like. I feel that my style of teaching is formal compared with others so I have made a conscious effort to dress more casually to balance that over the last year. I think it works and I am definitely more comfortable.

17. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I'm 35 (for a little bit longer)

18. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

I generally buy cheap and often. Most of my work clothes are from H&M, New Look and DP but I mix them in with the odd extravagant purchase from Monsoon and slightly less extravagant from M&S.
    I tend to wear smart trousers/skirt with a variety of tops/cardis etc. Also wear dresses if I'm in the mood. Lots of accessories. Never wear a suit because of my shape. can never get a jacket to flatter me.
    My shoes usually cost more than the whole rest of my outift and they have high heels always.

I'm 33.

19. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I always plan my outfits round my shoes - which always have high heels. Tomorrow, it will be my stripper shoes (which sound much worse than they are!), black trousers, green vest top and long black cardi over the top. Accessories chosen to match shoes.
    Sometimes I wear skirts, sometimes dresses, sometimes trousers. I rarely wear suits. Large items come from Next, Monsoon, Boden; smaller ones from Debenhams. I also buy stuff when I go away to ring the changes. Shoes are mainly Faith and Nine West.
    I am 30.

20. For me, it's smart trousers and nice tshirts & cardies (cardies are from Primark & H&M). Flat shoes this year so far, as I have so far to walk every day....
    I'm 39