1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you want to see?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mattshort, Sep 4, 2018.

1. mattshort

mattshort New commenter

HI, Not sure if this is the place to post this, I'm sure someone will tell me if not! I'm currently applying for teaching positions (mainly in NZ) and want to know what heads want to see. I know all the basics, but what is it that makes you pick up one application over another? One thing I'm struggling with is the language. In general my writing is very 'chatty,' I find the terminology of an application both difficult to write and boring to read. However would you disregard an application that said, 'I love teaching and try to ensure my lessons are interesting and accessible to all my students' over one that stated, 'Highly experienced, passionate, energetic teacher with a proven track record of engaging, exciting and inspiring young people.' Do I need to have the terminology or can I simply write as if you and I were chatting face to face?
    I also would like some pointers on how to sell experience without appearing cocky or over confident. I've been teaching for almost 20 years, I've been a teacher (primary and secondary), ESL teacher of English (Singapore), PE teacher (primary and secondary) a HOD (secondary PE) a DP (primary) a county sports advisor and am now owner/operator of an a PE advisory/teaching company. Too many roles (11 jobs) for my years in the profession? Does it matter if I have more experience than the head teacher I'm applying too, would this put you off employing someone?
    I realise this is a rather personal question but I think that everyone looking for a teaching position would find your insights useful.

Thank you in advance for your time

Matt Short

2. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Try posting on Overseas forum...

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I can't give any specific advice as requested but this sentence jumped out at me.
    A friend of mine is a salesman (business to business) and I've often bought him a few drinks as to how to sell myself for regular teaching interviews. Very useful as most SLT interviewers aren't up to the high-grade of BS that I bring to the party, all thanks to the advice. Do you have a similar friend who will run through a few scenarios with you, perhaps not sales as top-end managers should be able to do this?

A bonus to consulting the salesman is that you'll get top advice on salary negotiation as well, my mate largely helps me deal with supply agency rates as well.

4. clbills

clbills New commenter

No that wouldn't put me off. Several of the staff currently working in my new school do. If they do a good job then that's what matters. I have confidence in my ability to do my job and also acknowledge that I don't know everything and will seek advice from those who have been in the job longer when required!