1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you want in a school trip?

Discussion in 'School trips' started by kpegasus, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Hi,

I work for a heritage tourist attraction in North Wales, UK. I am really keen to attract more school visits and would love to hear your opinions on what makes a good school trip.

When choosing locations what do you look for and what would act as good incentives (other than cost) to make you choose a place?

Thanks,

Kitty

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Proximity. Long distances means more time on the bus and less time at the venue. Also long trips are more expensive.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Study materials for before and after. Worksheets on site need careful planning: many are far too trivial, others need too much writing in rain and wind.

Somewhere for packed lunches to be eaten and for briefings: some places have welcoming areas, in others all you get is a basement that looks as if the KGB have just left.

Needs to fit curriculum - and that is something that some "attractions" do rather imaginatively.

Ability to work with visiting staff to produce (reasonably) tailored experiences.

4. Hi - did some research into this last year.

Over 100 teachers surveyed from all education sectors.

Research findings here:

www.watseducation.com/educational-visits.html

Happy to offer support if you think I can help you.

Mike

5. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

6. RichardPThomas_

RichardPThomas_ New commenter

I'm in agreement with most of what has been said. I also look for the LOtC quality badge, as this gives assurance of the quality of the provider.

7. themidlander

themidlander New commenter

Hello,

I was recently an English and Media teacher and now represent the University of Westminster outreach team. We have new and free opportunities to visit the university and the Regent Street Cinema; the first place to show moving image in the UK.

www.regentstreetcinema.com/community-education

If you would like contact details let me know.

Jim Carlberg - J.Carlberg@westminster.ac.uk