1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you use to assess writing across school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smiley786, May 13, 2012.

1. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

Hi,
    We are having a rethink of how we do things in our school. There seems to be a lot of discussion with discrepancies over SATs marking criteria in Y2 and Y6 and the QCA criteria we currently use to assess writing in other classes.
    Just wondering what do you use?
    Thanks

2. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

Hi,
    We are having a rethink of how we do things in our school. There seems to be a lot of discussion with discrepancies over SATs marking criteria in Y2 and Y6 and the QCA criteria we currently use to assess writing in other classes.
    Just wondering what do you use?
    Thanks

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We use the Criterion Scale from Ros Wilson

4. We use the APP grids for each child. I am in Year 2 and I wouldn't rely on my SATs marks to assess writing as it is just a one off. I tend to get the evidence from a weekly Big Write where they are independent and using and applying what they have learnt, rather than being taught anything new, and writing in other areas of the curriculum.

5. We use APP and APP every child in writing. Evidence is found in ALL writing R.E., Topic, Science, Big Write but English books are usually not used as sole basis of evidence. I know there are many different views on this, but we have been using this method for about 4 years and I really like it..... the other week I marked a SATS writing practice paper (I am Year 6) using the mark scheme and completed points score before looking at the the thresholds - and they pretty much matched my APP given levels....In our school we do a lot of moderation - but as I say I am a fan...

6. We also use APP and it's nice to hear someone else likes it! We have found that it's led to far more consistent judgements across the school.

7. stewartk89

stewartk89 New commenter

Hi,

Much the same as above for me too. APP writing in all subjects as its often out of context so more of a reflection of what they can actually do than when under pressure! So I try to get in as many opportunities of different writing types during topic time as I can and you can also use this as an interesting prior learning check. We do Big Writing weekly too and again this can be used as both an assessment and prior learning check so you can see the progress. It's also important to remember to do big writes on areas that you havent recently taught so you can see what they can really remember!! We also try to make sure we moderate marking and app levels/NC levels for our children across the school half termly with our tracking, so lots of comparing books etc.

hope that's of some help!!

8. Those of you who use evidence from across the curriculum, do you find that there is little work that is unaided in the other subjects and therefore not that much use as evidence of what the child can do independently? I ask because it's something I think we should be doing in my school but the problem is that we often help the children with, say, how to structure the report. It's never fully independent. What do you do about this? Do you get them to do it independently? Or are you looking at the other skills such as sentence structure and punctuation rather than text organisation?