1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you use Ipads for?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by humpty88, Feb 12, 2017.

1. humpty88

humpty88 New commenter

Hello all,
    The Head of our school is happy to invest in a set of ipads for our school providing we can justify their purchase. I have so far compiled a reasonable list which shows how ipads would be helpful inside/outside the classroom across different subject areas. I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me any comments on how you have successfully used ipads in school, which I might add to the list for potential future use. This might be in guided reading (air server use), literacy, maths or absolutely any other subject! Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

What's on your list so far?

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What will your other teachers actually use the i-pads for?

It's all very well a keen ICT bod compiling a list and the head buying the things. However when all other teachers haven't a clue what to do with them, nor any interest in learning, it's still a waste of money.

A school I worked in a few years ago bought a set of hudls on the basis they would transform ICT teaching. They didn't. The teacher who championed them had them almost all the time because no one else wanted them. When she left they sat unused for a year. Then a new chappie arrived and wanted i-pads, so school bought a set of i-pads. This chappie had them in his classroom almost all the time, no-one else minded. He left just after me and rumour has it no-one has used them since.

You need a staff meeting where staff can express what they might use them for, and training needs to be part of the budget. Or you'll end up with staff using them as cameras, sometimes, if you're lucky.

Landofla and Ranterino like this.
  4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

We use iPads at least twice a week. Presentations, videos, music, Internet are all very easy on them. We had some staff training for those teachers who weren't as confident. I wasn't convinced a few years back, but they certainly help me. Even taking AR tests is much quicker and easier on them. Photos of various activities is a breeze.

I just wish we had some more.

5. Ranterino

Ranterino New commenter

I use Kahoot a lot on the iPads with my primary students. It's a great app to assess how much students have learnt on any given subject, but it can also be used to teach new stuff. The kids love absolutely love it. Seesaw is also a good platform for multi-media project work, as is Edmodo. I also use the iPads for guided reading and self-directed learning on the website I set up for my students, see here -
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Agree with caterpillartobutterfly's post about getting everyone on board. Slowly but surely more and more teachers in my school are beginning to use the iPads we have. As far as I can see there are endless opportunities to use tech in the classroom nowadays, so long as it is put to use effectively. This takes time for teachers to train themselves /receive training on how to use tech well in classrooms.

What's on your list? I'm always on the look out for useful new stuff!

6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

If you can't state an EDUCATIONAL benifit to buying them, why waste the money? The starting point is what is the problem that you are trying to solve, ways of solving it / them, if the solution involves software / apps, which. Finally what is the best hardware to run this software. If you start with we need some iPads, it is likely to fail. Ths is how education wastes a huge amount of money, but the suppliers rub their hands together.

7. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

There are lots of websites online which the kids can use to enrich their skills etc but many of them require a subscription.

There are lots of apps out there which are useful but there are more which are not ahaha.

Make sure someone goes on some training to share with staff useful ways of including ipads in the teaching & learning.

They also end up costing loads in maintenance. It is pretty nice to have a visualiser to sync with them too.

I feel like I've argued a poor argument for ipads but all that aside, I do think every school NEEDS at least 1 class set of ipads!

8. Milgod

If you have iPads, you won't need a visualiser to 'sync with them'.

9. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

My issue is always that there aren't enough. Let's say you buy a clas set, then one isn't charged or breaks, suddenly kids are sharing. There are some activities where this is fine, beneficial even, but more where frankly, sharing is a pain and causes arguments. Even if all 30 work,we are 3 form entry. Yes, that English lesson would be fab if we used iPads to make movies of the kids' stories. But, what about the other 2 classes? Ok, they can use them later in the week...but by then we are on to a different stage of the writing process and it doesn't fit well. Oh, maybe just a particular target group could use the iPads? Fab, but the rest of the class do no work cos they keep cranking their necks to see what the chosen ones are getting to do. And why wouldn't they? Who owouldnt rather plan their story on an iPad than in their book?

I'm very cynical. Until we have enough for an entire year group to use them at once, and all teacher have the ability to update with apps they want (when they want them - nothing more annoying than finding a good app in PPA then it's not available the following week!), I'll think they're fun but not that useful

10. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

@Milgod yes you will need Apple tv or they can't be used as visualisers.... unless you want to import photos all the time...

11. Milgod

Not sure what Apple TV is. I imagine it's something like Airplay which seems easy enough to use.

12. TheLovelyEggs

TheLovelyEggs Occasional commenter

Taking photos and using connecting steps during lessons.

13. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I think iPads do have great potential to engage the children and achieve things effectively in a 21st century way. Technology is part of our pupils' world and I think we need to harness it and use it more than we sometimes do.
    For Music, there are note naming, theory and aural apps; xylophone/keyboard apps; you have the sequencing program GarageBand to create pieces using loops; pupils can watch performances of all kinds of music on YouTube and there are apps of e.g. Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, Carnival of the Animals and one which mirrors a book and CD called My First Classical Music.
    There's an app called Showbie - you can create activities for the children through recording spoken instructions, or writing them or taking pictures. The children have a username and they key in the code of the worksheet you've created in order to access it. They can respond in the task by writing, recording or photographing. You can access their work from your iPad and leave a comment - spoken or written.
    iMovie is a great tool for showing how something was made or making a film about something. The video facility on iPads is great for recording immediately and showing the pupils or watching it later to assess a group music performance, drama presentation, sports technique etc.
    There are apps which enable pupils to create a book/project and include photos, videos and sound clips.
    It's very important that staff are on board with using this technology. Regular training is essential - not just a one-off introduction - and time for staff to acquaint themselves with the possibilities shown to them in the training sessions. A proper plan of how the use of the technology and staff training will be developed over the next two or three years is vital, accounting for the fact that no-one quite knows where technology will go but it's important to keep abreast of changes, new directions and acknowledge that a one-off financial outlay will not be sufficient.

drvs likes this.
  14. gerdmuller

gerdmuller New commenter

It all depends upon your confidence, trust from above to try new things and as well as the money for apps, being prepared to spend an immense amount of time researching apps and trying things out.

At 1:1 provision the world's your oyster. Mathletics accounts at fingertips, reading comprehension apps, Google Classroom and wide range of other apps.

With shared access, you'll still be able to get the most from Explain Everything, Google Docs collaborative functions, various maths apps, coding apps, etc.

One thing you'll need to sort with superiors is attention to the rules: Apple are a lot more money-hungry than Android, so to play within the rules you'd need to buy every app for every tablet.

I was part of a research project for a major technology company and it changed how I teach. This year I've tried the flipped learning approach and it's been fascinating. I have QR codes all over the classroom, on work prompts and homework, linked to online resources and a YouTube channel for my class. But key to everything, throughout the programme, was having a HT who fully understood that work would be done in a different way, lessons would look different and that sometimes things could just go belly up...

ViolaClef and drvs like this.
  15. Natalie_A89

Natalie_A89 New commenter

iPads can be very useful in the classroom and can also be used in group work. You can use something like Digiclass a sharing software to help showcase the childrens work to the rest of the class.

16. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Animation, green screen filming, times tables practise, Thinking Blocks (great problem solving App), creating iBooks (Book Creator), photography + editing, video + editing, internet research, class sets of books for guided reading, blogging, finding pictures of historical figures and bringing them to life (morfo), Puppet Pals (love this) + lots more I can't recall off the top of my head!

17. mrmatt73

mrmatt73 Occasional commenter

Remember to factor in staff training as well ... no point in buying them if there's no training.

18. brian-431

brian-431 New commenter

Not very exciting but we actually use them to do SATs practice papers. Makes a change from doing them on paper and the kids definitely do 'enjoy' it a bit more. They make a good visualiser too.

19. Natalie_A89

Natalie_A89 New commenter

You can use them to share others work too. My friend Pete told me about a DigiClass Software for the interactive he uses. He uses it to assign work and then bring it up on his screen.

20. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I do not like Apple products but I would argue that the i-pad is an easy to use flexible product that can serve schools well. Far better than the BBC-B that was a good product but no-one ever created anything for it that supported the primary curriculum. They would have been better off investing in the cheaper Sinclair Spectrum or even Amstrad that could have had a mountain of cheap educational console apps. My beef is that children are not exposed to the plethora of exciting new technology in an accessible way. Why dont schools enthuse about barcodes, RFID, IR sensors, data encryption, communication and networking ? All of this of course is underpinned by Logic, binary, truth tables and flow diagrams.