1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you use as a term of endearment?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4046, Dec 28, 2011.

1. I tend to call people sweety-poops (often when I'm drunk, but not necessarily)
    By people, I mean husband, child and dog - but sometimes others...
    I don't like 'babe' or 'babes' (sorry if you use those..)

What about you?

2. or "hun" - where has that come from? YUCK

3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

My husband of four days has decided that it's hilarious to refer to me as 'Wife', as in "Wife! How much longer until you're ready?"
    He's got about another 3 days until he's getting a slap.
    Prior to The Big Day, we used pet names only when taking the P.I.S.S.

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Within the family we use our given names with 'chen' or 'lein' added on the end....whichever sounds 'right'!
    It's a German form of diminutive/endearment.
    So, if 'beth' was my RL name I'd be bethilein! (sometimes you need to add a vowel!)
    I also have a 'pet' name within the family.
    Other than that I don't know/speak to many people so don't use endearments.

5. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

I suppose it depends who I am talking to really.
    I use "sweetheart" quite a lot for children - mine and others, for example the Brownies.
    I often call my own children toots, tootsie-bell, poppet.
    I call my dog "chicken-chops" or "flopsybunny".
    I actually call my youngest "flopsybunny" too, actually. I think I often callmy children "chicen" as well, which is strange given that I hate chickens!
    My husband rarely endears himself to me, so I rarely use any term of endearment for him ;)

6. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

I had no idea you were getting married - Congratulations! :)

7. Ha ha!

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Me neither. You kept real quiet about that! Congratulations. Did you get married on Christmas Eve?

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

OH refers to me as 'darling' and I do the same.
    My daughter (20) is 'sausage' and she refers to me as 'mother dearest'.
    My son calls me 'mumzies' and I call him 'lala' (from his inability to say his name as a toddler, and calling himself lala not Alexander).

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

habibi for men or habibti for women

11. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Thank you both. I've mentioned it on a couple of threads but we've been quiet about it in general, keeping it very hush hush, inviting only a few very close friends and family. Honeymooning in the Lakes for a few days and having a proper holiday at Easter. Yes, we were married on Christmas Eve. It was lovely.

12. Congratulations!

13. Congratulations Eva...
    I call my youngest Scroobie Doo [​IMG] No I don't know why either! Oh and Scrubalugs!

14. I use Sweetie, Babe, Hunnybun, Gorgeous, Darling .... for my other half.

If I'm feeling maternal towards a young person I might call them duck or chuck, but that's very rare indeed.

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Lovely.

16. OH and I really enjoy old black and white films - you know the ones where people are frightfully decent and proper and speak in pinched upper-class accents - so if I say he sometimes calls me Tuppence and I occasionally call him Perry (short for Peregrine) in that same upper-class way, promise you'll mention it to no one else.
    It's all a bit Jeeves and Wooster really but it makes us (Midlanders) laugh.

17. I sometimes refer to my students as 'My little Pot Noodles', call my mum 'mother' (similarly to you AE, we are Welsh so it sounds amusing!) and my husband Mr Tumnus due to his short stature and the fact he grew a goatee once. All endearments you must understand...!

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Mines usually darling or their name...however the other day for the first time in 34 years i called her a daft cow....she wasnt immpressed somehow![​IMG]

19. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

I don't tend to use any, apart from the odd text but I do call our beared dragon, chicken....I accept full responsibility for any species related issues that may develop in the future.

20. I'm Cornish so it tends to be "bird".