1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think of this?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Star_Teacher, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Star_Teacher

Star_Teacher New commenter

It is a really interesting idea, and one that i tried to create while studying for my A-levels. For me it personally flopped because i wasn't able to create enough imaginary ideas, and i already knew what i was going to get at each level.

I guess in the classroom, depending on the ability and the attitude of the kids, you could introduce titles like squire, knight, black knight etc. until they get to choose their own title.

It is certainly something that i would be interested in trying out at some point, but the key thing is time at the moment, maybe over the long summer holidays i might give it a bash, but until then i think i will have to leave it!

2. This is something I've been thinking of incorporating since I began my PGCE in september. I was going to focus my big curriculum development asignment on it before realising quite how much work it would require, and that I didnt really have the time for it as well as everything else.

Over summer this year before starting my NQT year I'm thinking of looking into matching a levelling system to the APP guidelines. It should in theory be doable, just a case of figuring otu how much evidence is required to move from level to level and therefore how much xp is required. It also works well because as you go up from level to 8 the tasks become progressively more difficult to do, thus accounting for requiring more xp. The concept of working as a team to an ultimate goal can also be awarded xp as suggested in the video, due to AF3 having a slight focus on the merits of teamwork.

If I come up with a viable method I will share it with you guys, please feel free to share your ideas as well.

3. Since earlier I've had a few ideas. Nothing concrete but just needs some working on.

Each AF is a ‘skill tree’ that they need to progress through (like most modern RPGs have)
    Pupils start at level 0 (best brought in at the start of year 7)
    A minimum of 25 skills per AF (ranging from 1c through to Extension); or one for each bullet point highlighted by the national strategies per level.
    Pieces of evidence accumulated for an AF gives xp towards a skill’s completion
    Each skill grants the pupil a reward of some kind
    You cannot unlock the next level of skill until you have shown sufficient evidence for those before – will generate an instant, easy reward for all pupils at the beginning, giving the activity a feeling of worth and incentivising more work towards higher levels and better rewards.
    Questions arising from this:
    How to make child friendly app targets?
    How to then sum each on up in a ‘catch word’ ala spells in games?
    What would the rewards be?
    How much evidence is required to reach a ‘skill’?
    How will evidence be marked?

4. wire247

wire247 New commenter

As you have one post, am I correct in assuming you have some vested interest in this sloblocks?

You asked what I think of it;

If you and those that have responded so far are teachers, then I'm leaving the profession to become a plasterer. I will also insist that my wife (who is also a teacher) leaves and gets a similar job, perhaps as a bricklayer. I will also remove my children from an education system that employs a single professional who thinks this is a good idea. In fact we will emigrate, and move to Rwanda (where our new skills will no doubt be welcomed), as my kids will receive a better standard of education.

In conclusion, I used to like this forum. It gave me the chance to sound off, and some of the advice on here was top notch. But this thread? Is this forum moderated at all? So do me a favour and (insert any word) OFF!

5. That's a bit of an extremist opinion wire. The suggestion isn't to entirely replace the system with the concepts suggested, but use it to make the current system more accessible to students and to try and get them to interact more in their learning process. Your marking stays the same, but the pupils get rewards in an interesting manner. At least that's what I interpreted it as. Like any idea its an interesting one, and like any idea it has pros and cons, its just a potential way to make education more interesting for the 'achievement grinding' youth of today.

6. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

Sorry but I agree with Wire.
    Learning needs to be its own reward and we need to instil this idea into our children.
    It is not a game!

7. wire247

wire247 New commenter

And there speaks a real teacher.

Thank you for restoring my faith. Rwanda's loss is bottom set year ten's gain. (although I'm not sure they'd agree)

8. Well surely the sign of the 'real teacher' is being open to new ideas if you personally believe it could help enthuse your pupils and increase their overall achievement. I'm not sure a 'real teacher' would come along and shoot down an idea without trying it or seeing it done, just because they don't understand it. To then call into question the professionalism of those who feel they could constructively do something with it makes me think that Rwanda probably should have a new plasterer.

9. Star_Teacher

Star_Teacher New commenter

Learning is fun, but it is difficult to realise this when you are trying to motivate yourself or the students to learn something that they are not interested in. It is almost that the realization comes after the learning. Therefore to get kids interested in doing the learning in the first place, i see no problem in trying something new.

Earning merits, playing games as starters etc are all used to get the kids motivated and engaged so that learning can begin. Surely it would be the same way with game-ification?

Wire, If you teach a bottom set year ten class then surely you realise how difficult it is to engage the students to want to do the learning, but when you do do it, you can see the clear improvement? If you dont use a motivational method to get them ready for learning, i would be interested to hear what you do use to make the learning happen because it sounds like it must be better than this new idea.

10. wire247

wire247 New commenter

You're not too far off there, but you are missing one crucial point;

Q8. Have a creative and constructively critical approach towards innovation, being prepared to adapt their practice where <u>benefits and improvements</u> are identified. Despair of those jump on the bandwagon of the latest fad.

Are you joking? Your video could be understood by a five year old. Even my cat got the gist of it.