1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think of this time-saving idea?

Discussion in 'English' started by roamingteacher, Jun 28, 2015.

1. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I recently met a group of teachers who were evangelising about audiobooks (for themselves) as a way to save time and still be able to get through more books. I've tried them in the past, but although I think they're great for saving our voices in the classroom, I never got on board with listening to them myself.

Do you listen to audiobooks, either for fiction or for professional development? I'm curious to know if it's a growing area in terms of popularity.

[Disclosure: this is part personal interest and part market research for a book I'm working on...]

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My m-i-l, who is virtually blind, relies heavily on audio books as it's one activity still open to her, but personally I like reading aloud to my class. Sometimes don't like the way certain books are - depends very much on who's reading, some are very good indeed.

I know people in long car journeys who use them a lot (can 'read' whilst driving) and I've been known to listen to fiction on Radio 4 , but can't see much point for those of us able to actually read and put our ow intonation on what we read.

3. K.Wellborne

K.Wellborne New commenter

I use them frequently- the best ones are far better than I could do in terms of performance. I think I've mentioned before Cirque Du Freak. However, you need to make sure they are not abridged ( confuses students when audio skips ahead) Helps with classroom management too if students enjoy the reading. I still read aloud as well though.

4. roamingteacher

Thanks both of you for your replies. My query wasn't clear though.

I was more asking whether you as 'readers' listen to audiobooks, as a way to save time and keep up with personal / professional reading. Or would you if they were available? Appreciate your time.

5. It's really worth. I use them in my class hen I teach my subject. It adds variety and interest for the learners to study.

6. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

I've always found them tedious. I personally don't use them and I don't often advise my staff in my department to use them as I prefer the traditional reading to my class or my students reading to one another.

7. roamingteacher

Although the thread wasn't asking about using them with classes - but rather for a teacher's own use in professional development, for example - I'm curious as to why you'd advise against them.

8. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Professional development? Are there audiobooks of Phil Beadle et al then? [​IMG]

I don't think audio-books are at all time-saving.

https://shop.pottermore.com/en_GB/Harry-Potter-and-the-Philosopher-s-Stone-audiobook/hp1-audiobook-english-gb1-gbp?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=audiosampleuk1

Apologies for the slightly facetious example, but the first Harry Potter book takes Stephen Fry 8.5 hours to read aloud. I can read to myself a lot faster than that...

9. roamingteacher

It would be considered time-saving if listening in the car (for example) on the way to work. I agree that reading is faster but if you haven't got time to read, it's about finding ways to still get that info...