1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think of the new spelling lists?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by GordonWright, Sep 28, 2014.

1. GordonWright

GordonWright New commenter

I'm currently retyping my weekly word lists based on the new statutory guidance.

Mmmmm...

What does everyone else think of the changes (and choices) that have been made by the powers that be?

I'd be interested to know!

2. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Looking at years 3 to 6 there aren't any words I would cross off it. It isn't intended to be a spelling scheme so is it a problem

3. smallschool

smallschool New commenter

I have moved down the year groups this year and the brighter pupils in each years group (2,3 and 4) are fine, the average group are having to work much harder at it but the less able just aren't up to it yet. Still we are only a month in so Im hoping to change that. BUT the parents are moaning about how much harder they are....

4. The expectations are far too high, especially if you work with children in areas where parents do not help at home.

5. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

The year 1 spellings are useless. There's only my LA chn getting cvc words for spellings. It doesn't fit with any of the phonics age related expectations they've been pedalling for last few years - very low expectations.

6. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Not relevant and too hard for my largely EAL kids