1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think of my Personal Statement??????

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ff392, Jan 8, 2011.

1. <u>"</u> I believe that during their time at school" would not open it with I believe.... to Martin Luther King..
    <font size="3">When I was at school, there was a teacher who recognised my dyslexia and helped me overcome some of the barriers that it created. For example? </font>
    <font size="3"> It is this positive impact that - everyone used these words when I was at Uni! </font>
    I understand that men are under-represented in teaching, and in primary teaching in particular. So ?
    . I am especially proud of my achievements in piloting a new maths programme - good bit
    . I am currently re-sitting my GCSE English and Maths - why put that in?
    If it is for a school - you need to make reference to the school. There's lots about you and what you have done but what can you offer the school?
    Hope this is ok
    Good luck.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree you need to quote particular references to examples.
    I was told -say three things (I'd got too many) so decide which 3 for this particular job.
    Give examples and say how these would add value to the school. Someone else said 'it's not so much about selling yourself, so much as convincing them they need you & the qualities you could bring to the school.
    Hope that helps.

3. I don't see why you would need to include this sentence.

4. Not lazy at all. Read the first part and couldn't read any more beyond the male teacher bit.

5. I think you raise many good points and clearly have the experience and drive needed to become a great teacher. This coupled with your apparently extensive experience will all put you as a forerunner.
    However, you need to give evidence for <u>every </u>point you make. For example, I am resitting my GCSEs in x and am predicted a level y. I resat these because of a and I wanted to have the best possible skills in x to share my knowledge clearlyin the classroom.
    You mention you are a parent- I would emphasise that you know the time commitment needed to complete a PGCE/GTP and briefly outline how you will fullfil this commitment alongside a busy home life.
    Good Luck with the application. Just remember PEE- Point, Evident, Explain.

6. I agree with the above poster that this is well worth mentioning, but I'd be more specific about what your role entailed. Have you seen an improvement of a year in the maths skills of the children you have helped? Or is that just what the programme is designed to do (which is what your phrasing suggests). How did the scheme work? How many children? In class? Extra-curricular?
    With a bit of tweaking and tightening up as suggested by previous posters I think this will be a good statement. Good luck!

7. It's a little bit wishy-washy. You have clearly gained a lot of experience, but it's not written coherently enough to really put it into context. It's never a good idea to say I have done x without backing it up. You are proud of your achievements in piloting a new maths programme called EPS... and what? What are the achievements? What did YOU do, this personal statement should be all about you. I would take out all the clichés, all the 5000 other applicants will have written the same thing. Despite widespread opinion, it isn't that uncommon to find males training for primary currently, the recession has created a massive influx of around 52%.

8. Err how do you know this?
    I still don't.

9. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

52% what? Of those studying to teach in Primary education 52% are currently male?

10. No, a 52% increase in the numbers of male trainee primary teachers. Let's not be too ambitious!

11. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

That's what I thought. Although that still isn;t exactly a high %. What would it be now? 15-20% males?

12. A notable increase all the same.

13. Normal

Bodegabuttons, I was referring to the three posters immediately before you,
    not to you. I know that they ddn't read it from the fact that they each
    indicated that they thought the application was for a job, which it clearly
    isn't.

You would already know my reasoning if you had
    read my post. I am about to go and eat, so to save yourself the
    bother of waiting breathlessly for my next reply, please ask yourself if I have
    already answered your next question before you post it.

14. I did read your post little miss touchy.