1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think of home study leave?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by TES_Community, Apr 2, 2007.

1. TES_Community

TES_Community Administrator

The TES magazine is putting together a special feature on revision and would love to get your input on this.

Education minister David Miliband has said he wants home study leave for GCSEs replaced by supervised revision in school. What do you think of home study leave?

Please add your comments to this thread.
    Many thanks for your help
    TES Web Staff

2. TES_Community

TES_Community Administrator

The TES magazine is putting together a special feature on revision and would love to get your input on this.

Education minister David Miliband has said he wants home study leave for GCSEs replaced by supervised revision in school. What do you think of home study leave?

Please add your comments to this thread.
    Many thanks for your help
    TES Web Staff

3. pete14

pete14 New commenter

Many schools do a mixture of both. Once year 11's are on study leave, they are given a programme of revision sessions and 'invited' to attend. Some do, some don't. At least that way, the revision sessions are only for those who are going to respond positively to them because they have chosen to attend them. As far as a school is concerned, study leave freed up teachers to invigilate the exams. Of course teachers no longer are required to invigilate so there should be greater time for revision sessions. A worrying but perfectly understandable side issue to this is the number of disaffected pupils who are 'required' to start their study leave early. These are the ones least likely to study at home but it keeps exclusion figures down and allows the rest to face the critical few weeks before their exams with less interruptions to their learning.

4. My school gave up on the idea of 'study leave' quite a few years ago. The local community hated it, most of the kids thought it was a 'sit off' and the less able kids could not self-motivate or time-manage revision.

5. We don't do study leave anymore either. They continue attending their lessons until the day of the exam, and then they can use that lesson as revision time, or go elsewhere to work if they can/want to.

6. i love study leave!!!!!

7. Why give pupils (and parents) the experience of study leave? It's small fry when we already seem to be responsible for what kids eat and how they behave.

8. My EBD school give year 11 study leave. Which is a joke, most don't do any exams. Go figure.

9. There is so little transition between GCSE and A-Level, often study leave is the only time my students experience truly self-motivated independent learning. In a practical subject it is often this time when they choose to come back into school and realise the value of the skills they have gained, especially those looking to persue my subject further. I offer mine a chance to come back and TA my year 10s to help them revise, some come, some don't, but all learn from the experience being treated as an adult by allowing study leave. I know many subjects offer revision classes, catch up sessions and so on which students can choose to attend - in some schools I have worked in this has been the most successful teaching I have done all year! I dread to think what it would be like trying to instill a sense of independence, prioritising goals and self-motivation for the first time during A Level. How would students know they could cope?

10. gravell

gravell New commenter

Those who benefit from study leave would benefit from being in school possible less though. Those who would not benefit from study leave would be a big pain in the ar*e in school and would not benefit from being in school anyway.

So I think is it about education or is it about being highly qualified baby sitters?

11. Agreed. We have discontinued study leave which I think is dreadful because many pupils would work at home and benefit from doing so. So we now have a situation where the work of those who DO want to do well is hampered by those ne'er do wells who a] do not want to be in school and b] disrupt the sessions and waste everyone's time.
    The sooner the educational establishment wakes up to what education really means, the better. If the Govt want us to be babysitters then so be it; if the Govt only wants statistics then so be it but do not let us kid ourselves that we are educating our next generation, we are not. From the age of 5, we are training them to jump through hoops that become ever more irrelevant. Education means to lead our pupils to think for and learn for themselves.
    In case you did not realise this, I fel very strongly about the issue, so much so that I have given notice.

12. It should be a choice for the school, first, the child second and the goverment should allow the school to decide! Another changed imposed from the government will do nothing but hinder.

13. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I think there'd be a lot to be said for decisions made on a pupil by pupil basis. Some of the abler and more organised pupils would probably fare far better revising at home. Some pupils won't do a thing in either place, and everyone else would be better off without them.

Of course the problem then is with those who are better off in school, but who don't see that themselves - maybe some incentive is needed for them.

14. The problem is that when they are in school their time is monopolised by English, Maths and Science - it is near impossible for any other subject area to do revision as they are always at these subjects and of course the parents want that too.

Now study leave has been abandoned I am faced with the position of my pupils sitting their exam very early on - May - whilst still in school - I have them an hour a week -what can I possibly hope to achieve in that time revision wise? I suspect that most won't even revise - the exam results should make for an interesting comaprison with last year.

15. Problem with study leave - some lazy pupils don't work.
    Problem with no study leave - lazy pupils don't work and chat/disrupt others, motivated students can't organise revision to suit dates of exams but are forced to do subjects on timetable, 'revision' lessons are disrupted by absences for - guess what - exams!!!, some entry level students have no revision to do so end up bored stiff.
    In other words to try and get a minority of lazy students to achieve a C not a D we penalise all the others.

16. From a teacher point of view - it's good, to free up some time and get much needed work done.

From a pupil point of view - I had study leave when I was doing my GCSE's and I just sat at home stressing about them rather than getting some good hard studying done. As a learner, I loose my concentration quickly and get distracted doing my favourite thing - day dreaming! I would really have benefitted and got even higher GCSE grades had school kept us in and held proper revision lessons right up until the exams.

17. The idea of giving study leave to y11 students can be affective to revision for some children, but what about the rest. why is it given weeks before a holidays.
    GCSE Maths is important so why are schools not folllowing Education minister David Miliband suggestion of supervision revision in school. could y11 attend in the morning. As a parent of a child who is trying to revise their maths, i go to work worrying about all aspects of their future exam. is secondary education faillling children who would appreciate exam coaching.

18. staxis

staxis New commenter

<font size="2">Study leave is a great idea. It encourages independence. Those who are motivated will work and get the results they deserve. Those who are not motivated won't work and will also get the results they deserve. Allowing students who want to come into school for help during this time is however essential.</font><font size="2">The school's results may not look as good in the league tables but giving young people responsibility for their own exam results is real education and should be more important than league tables.</font>

19. LiamD

LiamD New commenter

Would your child benefit more from a revision session attended by pupils who were motivated and wanted to be there or a revision session attended by pupils who were there under duress?
    I know which type of revision session would be more productive for my kids.
    If what you're suggesting is that there are no Maths revision sessions organised by your child's school, I'd be very surprised. Ring the school and ask!

20. LiamD - there are no maths revision sessions run by my sons "outstanding" grammar school. He is struggling and will be lucky to get a C. Sending him on study leave with 20 past papers won't do him much good as he has no idea how to answer half of the questions :-(