1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think of Augmented Reality in Education

Discussion in 'Education news' started by cleverbooksireland, Nov 6, 2017.

1. colpee

colpee Lead commenter

Got irritated by the trite and erronous Confusius nonsense in the leader. Then I got further irritated by the ignorant and idiotic pseudo-eduspeak, claptrap that followed.

I know a little about such technologies and AR is making its way into education and training. In some professional training AR has been around for a bit and is proving useful. For general education, AR will have some application as part of some lessons; but I fancy it will follow other forms of classroom IT by being oversold, under-evidenced, expensive and of null benefit.

chelsea2 likes this.
  2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

And end up on a shelf at the back of the stockroom next to all the other fads.

3. homeworkminutesablog

homeworkminutesablog New commenter

I think it is really very effective as visualization in learning helps students a lot to understand a lesson and keep them in mind. Moreover it will be a great enjoyment too. Students will be more interested in learning and not feel bored. Actually It will make study easy and enjoyable.

4. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

There were some free VR Goggles with the Guardian the other week - I'm glad I didn't pay for them.

I can't help thinking that it's the 8-track cartridge of the 2010s. Or maybe a better analogy would be 3D television - it was a bit rubbish, lots of people (including me) didn't buy into it, and now broadcasters have given up on it too.

5. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

So, not a teacher then.

Who will create the teaching materials? No teacher in the world will have the time to do that.
    How much will the product cost? No school will be able to afford it.

How much will students learn?

Learning is not a video game. I am all for making lessons interesting. i see inappropriate use of ICT in lessons every day. The assumption seems to be that tech makes lessons interesting and students learn more. This is nonsense.

phlogiston likes this.
  6. homeworkminutesablog

homeworkminutesablog New commenter

Yeah, I agree with you partially. Teacher is must to guide students. But if they can use augmented reality as their study helping material then it would be more enjoyable and helpful for students.

7. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter Forum guide and community helper

8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

no it isn't. I haven't clicked on the link but I bet it doesn't mention that it causes severe nausea in around 25% of adults and 10% of children.

9. mathsmutt

10. mathsmutt

VR -yes. AR ?

(We are not speaking about VR headsets here, just pointing an ipad at a position in the classroom.)

11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

sorry, I was talking about VR

mathsmutt likes this.
  12. mathsmutt

13. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

but ipads in the classroom are of very limited or zero educational value, in my experience, a very expensive waste of time

14. mathsmutt

15. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

A link to some research would nice to back up your assertions. I do know of several papers on this area and the consenus is generally bad. A link to a journal would be no good, we publish to a conference more often or not because the research could be irrelevant in the year or so a journal takes to reach publication.

16. mathsmutt