1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think of Augmented Reality in Education

Discussion in 'Education news' started by cleverbooksireland, Nov 6, 2017.

1. cleverbooksireland

cleverbooksireland New commenter

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sounds like an advertisement for things to buy.
    Some students need lifting out of their realities. For the most part though I believe that people need to accept and interact with real reality, with the teachers using their skills and the resources provided by the state to extend their view of what reality is.

CheeseMongler likes this.
  3. shellscript

shellscript Occasional commenter

AR and VR could transform teaching. Won't be for a while, my school can just about afford toilet paper.

silkywave and cleverbooksireland like this.
  4. cleverbooksireland

It may sound as advertisement however the idea was to guide people in thinking towards progressive teaching tools. It is up to each tutor to align with real life where his students are using technology in their lives or simply pretend technology doesn't exist. Practical research proves that modern kids are more engaged in learning process when teacher is using technology at class.

5. cleverbooksireland

Do you know that there are FREE solutions out there? and you just need your mobile device to use AR in the classroom?

6. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Occasional commenter

Have you got a link to this research? Is it just engagement that is actually improved or is it progress too? Is this just when the teacher is using technology, or when students are using it? What is counted as using technology; I'm pretty sure my students aren't more engaged when I sit at my computer to write an email... quite the contrary!
    What about students that don't own a mobile device? The only experience I've had of VR is the Derren Brown "ghost train" at Thorpe Park. It is very good as an experience but completely impractical to translate to schools. The devices at Thorpe Park are very high end and expensive. Even these cannot survive the demands of regular use - when I went on the ride they would only accept half the number of people at a time because 25/50 of the headsets were broken/crashed. This was after a 1hour delay (on top of queuing time) as the system had crashed completely. With a bit of research, this experience is far from unusual, in fact I count myself lucky that it wasn't closed all day.

7. bertiehamster

bertiehamster New commenter

Tried this recently. Massively entertaining, but I can't see a real=world use in the classroom. Must be getting old.....

8. cleverbooksireland

Not having a mobile device in the class has the way around with the projector on the wall. Also depends on the subject and scenario. Kids can get homework and learn through the app at home on their or their parents' device.

9. cleverbooksireland

What exactly have you tried? For which subject? Really interesting to know more about experience and challenges you have faced.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Augmented reality?

I use beer goggles!

... but not in the classroom.

cleverbooksireland likes this.
  11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I found it hard to understand what was being said, partly because the English used was not correct English and / or put together words which, to me, made no sense (opening sentence, for example: 'We all see how quickly the world changes with disruptive technologies and innovation tend providing new ways of accessing information, interacting with the environment, and the ways we learn and know things').

The term 'augmented reality' was never defined, which would also have helped.

12. cleverbooksireland

http://edtechreview.in/data-statistics/2844-augmented-virtual-reality-education-classroom-learning

13. elder_cat

elder_cat Occasional commenter

Sadly it hadn't been invented when I was last in the classroom.:(
    But we had a similar arrangement, where a few of my students seemed to spend a lot of their time on a different planet. Same thing, just cheaper.:)

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I don't have a 'mobile' device. And if I had one that I am paying for it wouldn't be used in school.

15. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Geometry and geography are not intrinsically boring. Good teachers of these subjects have always sought applications and illustrations to make the subject meaningful and interesting.

So what, pray, is this deeper exploration? Is it pretending to fly above the Amazonian rainforest while sitting in a classroom with an iphone strapped to your forehead and a pair of headphones with enhanced bass notes giving you a sound track? Meanwhile the pictures of trees have little labels with multicoloured parrots flying in line with them.
    If nothing goes into your brain (which is what memory is), what have you learnt?
    Passion is a strange word, often used wrongly.

That's what I and my colleagues have been striving to do all our careers. My teachers augmented reality for me.

I thought television was supposed to do that back in the last century.

I am not a Luddite. Technology can greatly enhance learning and wise teachers make good use of it. My whole careeer has been devoted to augmenting reality. However, if we try to turn education into a cross between a blockbuster movie and the latest computer game, the teachers always lose. Moviemakers are better at it than us, so are computer game programmers. In addition, if we mislead the children into thinking it's all about passion or gaming technology with no need to memorise, they stop concentrating.
    Meanwhile in the posh schools and the foreign schools, they teach their kids stuff and our kids can't compete in the global economy because they didn't learn about global economies in their passionate immersive geography lessons.

Long day with parents' evening. All good but tiring. Good to let off steam.
    Sorry cleverbooks.

16. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

Ah yes,
    "Technology X and Y are revolutionising Education and Student Learning."
    We hear this again and again
    All the way from coloured chalk through OHPs to the internet and on to AR and VR. Yes, they'll bring a little essence of something new but revolutionary ?, game changing ? sadly not.
    But this won't stop far too many schools and educators wasting millions jumping on yet another ephemeral bandwagon

17. cleverbooksireland

The app should be designed the way kids can get alone on their own. Thank you for all your valuable points! Really appreciated!

18. cleverbooksireland

I believe that educators should be aware and use in the classroom what they feel will helps students better to understand.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Perhaps the current funding crisis may have one advantage. It will stop HTs p*****g tons of money up the wall buying the latest tech. Instead they will insist they get the full value from what they already have.

20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Education is more than memorising, it's more than experiencing, it's about understanding, it's about making connections. All the interactive, glossy WOW technologies won't do that.