1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what do you think about self-discipline?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by happyseaurchin, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Correct me if I am wrong but earlier on you said you 'hit the roof' and 'dish out sanctions' to children who don't behave themselves. May I suggest that your extrinsic rewards are not the only motivating factor at work here?
    I'm not sure about hitting the roof but you deserve credit for disciplining those who won't/can't control themselves.
    You have also said that self discipline is something that most people develop naturally over time - I generally agree with this and suppose that this is why this thread annoys me.
    If the latter statement is true why are people trying to take credit for what is a natural process? It is bit like boasting that the children in your class have grown a couple of inches over the last year because you taught them how to grow. If one gets children to behave because they are a disciplinarian then there ought to be no shame in saying so but I'm extremely sceptical that the emotional maturity of most adults is something that can be taught to children.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I didn't mention 'naturally' I don't think. People develop self discipline by being taught how to discipline themselves. They need a teacher for a long time and sometimes forever in some aspects.

I could recite backwards in my sleep all the reasons I ought not to speed on the motorway. However I generally only stick to 70mph when there is an extrinsic reason for doing so.

However, other things require me to have self discipline and I do.

3. I think there may be individual students in every class.... even the very worst.... who operate from a base of self-discipline. In many classes today, all a teacher can do is to try to facilitate learning for these students...... the others, well, the more you facilitate for them, the more advantage they take.

4. We can get tied up here. I'd like to suggest there is a difference between self-discipline and good discipline that has been learned through fear of consequences, ie discipline. Can we teach love? I think we might go as far as saying we can help guide it, but I am not sure that I could teach it. And self-discipline is close to compassion, or fairness, something we intrinsically have a sense of, or at least learn as a toddler.

5. Tricky one this, and by your manner and polemic, I suspect we shall not further our insight into this. It is much easier to be antagonistic and talk about discipline since they are both rather robust. When it comes to self-discipline, I prefer a more respectful approach. Be well!

6. In my opinion, the emotional maturity of educated adults is somewhat stunted precisely because of the disciplining that goes on in schools. Chomsky is rather scathing of the lack of serious questioning that results from formal education. As a teacher, I found those who kicked back had something that their cowed classmates had given up -- not that I commended their level of disruption since it was not particularly useful for any of us. Drawing attention to this, and finding a place for awkward questions is what a proper education should be, in my humble opinion. Such as asking in this forum what people think of self-discipline.

And besides, in any random collection of young adults, there are those whose emotional maturity, or inter-personal and intra-personal intelligence, far exceed those of their friends (and sometimes their teachers). Drawing attention to such individuals might serve a class well wrt self-discipline and peer-to-peer learning.

7. Well said. And there is a strong relationship between facilitation and self-discipline, imho.

8. We are hardly going to further our insight into anything when you begin to dodge the issue at hand and resort to petty attacks against those who have questioned you.

9. I think the time has come for you to elaborate on exactly how one fosters an environment of self discipline in a classroom - I might then be able to understand where you are coming from.
    This all seems rather contradictory to me.
    Then again it might result in their being bullied for not fitting in with the normal ethos of the collection.

10. Can you describe this relationship please because I cannot see how what Vehar is saying supports your argument.

11. I wasn't intending to promote or support an argument. My desire was to check to see what the community who use TES forums might have to say about "self-discipline".

I was a maths teacher, and I have always been fond of games, chess, GO, and all kinds of sports team games. I simply combined my PGCE experience (from the superb Brian Humble formerly of Brunel Uni) with buddhist thinking and team work. My students learned something about self-discipline based on genuine self-reflection in the light of social results. A football player knows they have played well personally, but they have an extra signal which is obvious to everyone -- did they win. It is this "obvious" win-signal at the social level which has been missing from our educational system, and a flat discipline-enforced whitewash is not what any genuine teacher wants to experience in their class.

I have shared my experiences in a booklet, Inspiring Change which can be found at lulu.com, and a small rather idealistic system I invented some five years ago which I tried to share with my colleagues one day, called Educare.