1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you say when a student gives the wrong answer?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by uselessnerdII, Oct 18, 2019.

1. uselessnerdII

uselessnerdII New commenter

I am trying to develop a bank of positive responses that support students when they have given the wrong answer, like "That's an interesting response, or I can see where you are coming from"

If you have a really useful chestnut that I could use that would be much appreciated

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

I tend to use - that's an interesting answer, can you explain how you came up with that? It identifies the root of any misconception so further explanations can be shared with the class as necessary

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

"A lot of people think that - can anyone else see why it's not quite right?"

maggie m and phlogiston like this.
  4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

This is what NOT to say.

Flanks, maggie m, Catgirl1964 and 5 others like this.
  5. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

"That's a good idea, why do you think that?"

6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

“That’s an interesting point...”
    “I’m glad you’ve raised that because...”
    “Why?/Can you explain...”
    “You’re 90% of the way there...”

7. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

I just tell them they're wrong and what the right answer is/ what mistakes they've made that have led them to an incorrect answer.

Not all wrong answers are "interesting." If they're getting fundamental facts wrong, best to address the error head on.

8. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

I ask them to think again, have another go, etc. Sometimes I'll prompt them onto the right lines.

If the answer is wrong but you can see how they got there and it was a rational but flawed process, then it could well be interesting. But all this carp about all wrong answers being interesting is a bit silly I think.