1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you really like about where you live?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by smoothnewt, Oct 24, 2015.

1. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

On a similar theme to the "where wouldn't you like to live?" thread, but focusing on the positive.

I can think of plenty of places that I wouldn't like to live - in theory, but if I were to move there I imagine that it wouldn't be all bad. Most places are a mixture of good and bad, in different ways.

Me: a bit of an out-of-the-way place at the end of a railway line (which means you always get a seat!), but with easy proximity to central London. Good road access to the M25, and I can be in France faster than I could be in Yorkshire, for example. Within walking distance of a vast expanse of common, and then countryside. Local people have a sense of civic pride. A choice of four great shopping centres, one on foot, one by bus, one by car and one by rail (35 minutes).

That will do to set the ball rolling...

lindenlea likes this.
  2. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

I live in a very old farmhouse set in rolling countryside in north west France. A small hamlet with wonderful neighbours; walking distance to the nearest village with bar and excellent coffee; a shortish drive to the nearest large town; a great community spirit; above all....quiet. No traffic, no screaming kids, nothing but cows and bird noises. The best place I have ever lived.

3. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

For me, it's all to do with neighbours.

When our children were young, we lived in a street where we knew and interacted with lots of our neighbours. It had a real sense of community. We know our neighbours where we currently live but, apart from casual greetings and exchanging Christmas cards, there's no real interaction. Everyone is too busy with their own lives, which is sad.

lindenlea and bombaysapphire like this.
  4. smoothnewt

Jalouse? Moi?

;)

5. smoothnewt

We also used to live in a street like this, although the wonderful neighbours were interspersed with some complete nutters, and you could have written a good few soap episodes on the back of the goings on at that time.

We moved a couple of streets away to gain more space, ten years ago, but luckily all the good neighbours are still local, so we have regular get togethers, which is wonderful, as we are more like family than friends, having come through the past 20+ years together.

You are right: you can't put a price on good neighbours.

lindenlea likes this.
  6. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I live in a listed Georgian building on a private estate a 3 minutes walk from the sea, from there a 15 minute stroll to the nearest town with its many cafes/restaurants and heritage centre.

Can't wish to live anywhere else in the UK, though the weather may eventually drive me abroad! :D

lindenlea likes this.
  7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I grew up in a village and wanted my kids to do the same. We have easy access to railways and motorways in all directions, two major cities within an hour's drive of home and a couple of smaller cities closer by. We have N Wales to the West, the Peak District to the East, and the Lake District to the North. The nearest town doesn't exactly set the world on fire but it's well-served by cycle tracks and has all the shops we need. The countryside around our village is very pleasant and we can get to it easily from home. We originally moved here to escape the South East and be within driving distance of both sets of parents. Now the parents have passed on we're happy to stay put, and I've lived here longer than I've lived anywhere else. As much as I'd love to live in France we know we can do that any time we like in our camper van.

lindenlea likes this.
  8. smoothnewt

That does indeed sound rather wonderful. The sea is the only bit missing from what I would really like.

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It took me a while to settle here, knowing no one and having given up work. A year and a half later, we have great neighbours, good transport links to nearby towns and reasonable access to London, the sea five minutes away, the South Downs near by and a great theatre too.

It has the best of town, country and the coast. I've been surprised!

lindenlea and bombaysapphire like this.
  10. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I am not going to state my exact location due to obvious identification issues. However, the following descriptors could apply to a number of places.

What I like:-

1. Close proximity to a well known AONB.
    2. My road is very quiet.
    3. My area is very affordable (and IMO underrated in terms of house prices.
    4. 'Fair' public transport (due to improve with electrification of a line) exists to an interesting multicultural large city where I work.

What I don't like
    1. My location is not exactly coastal. A trip to the seaside is a good drive away!
    2. The greater area I live has a dreadful (only partly deserved) reputation nationally
    3. There are no buses within 1/2 a mile of my location (making retrieving my car after a 'session' a PITA.)
    4. I don't enjoy the same climate the South/South East enjoys in Summer.

11. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

PS 'Don;t like 2' does NOT refer to the large city before anyone works it out! The large city used to have a bad reputation but now definitely holds its own.

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We have a micro climate too!

13. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I love living here because the sea is at the back of my garden, with good sea defences so hopefully the house will still be standing for the next generation.

There is little else here, and the nearest decent shops are a 40 minute drive away, the nearest city an hours drive away and I am an hour away from a mainline train station.
    I often say if you don't like the sea, there is nothing here - luckily I love the sea! :)

14. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Walking. Views. Woodlands, moors, vales, and pubs.
    I grew up in the next village.

Mods, Why am I still here?

15. lurk_much

I want to live by the sea.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Belle Towers is a 300 year old barn conversion in a small village with just a few houses and a pub. I like the house, I like the area, we have wonderful friends and neighbours, we are less than an hour to Heathrow and 40 minutes into London by train.
    Nothing to dislike really.

17. lurk_much

I want to live by the sea.

18. lurk_much

How is this a community if you are not allowed to join in the discussion?

Delete my account or remove the pre-moderation.

19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

My hovel is a stone's throw from the park, the river, the shops, the cinema, the tube, the overground trains and the buses. It suits me.

aspensquiver likes this.
  20. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Being an outer London borough I have easy access to Central London, all the things I love about city life (shops open 24/7, multicultural, food from every corner of the world etc) with plenty of parks & open spaces around. Walking distance of Jacobean and Georgian Manor Houses with beautiful grounds. Great transport links. On a night bus route should I forget I am now 35. Pretty decent schools. It's not for everyone but I like it!