1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What % do you need to pass AQA Science A GCSE?

Discussion in 'Science' started by anon413, Sep 24, 2007.

1. I am a mature student studying for a single AQA Science A GCSE at night school.
    I am doing this alongside my 2nd year degree, during the day; so I can apply for teaching training next year.
    We have the option of entering for the higher tier A*-D grades or the Foundation Tier C-F.
    Is it better to enter for the higher tier or the lower tier? I have been told by a fellow student that it is better to enter for the higher tier if I need a C grade because the percentage of answers I would need to be correct is lower overall than the foundation paper.
    Is this correct?

2. I am a mature student studying for a single AQA Science A GCSE at night school.
    I am doing this alongside my 2nd year degree, during the day; so I can apply for teaching training next year.
    We have the option of entering for the higher tier A*-D grades or the Foundation Tier C-F.
    Is it better to enter for the higher tier or the lower tier? I have been told by a fellow student that it is better to enter for the higher tier if I need a C grade because the percentage of answers I would need to be correct is lower overall than the foundation paper.
    Is this correct?

3. No. You are more likely to gain a C grade in the foundation paper than in the higher paper unless you are a surefire A or B candidate. Percentage may be lower for the higher paper but there are more low demand questions in the foundation paper. Our borderline C grade students will get a C in foundation but sometimes parents insist on entering higher and they often come out with D grades.

4. Thanks Found Nemo for your reply.
    I certainly don't think I am a sure A or B grade candidate, it's a long time since I studied Science at school, so I am very rusty!
    I have looked at past papers and they are a lot easier then when I was at school, so I think I can definately get a C.
    Do you know what percentage a C grade equates to on the Foundation paper; I have looked at the AQA website but I can't work it out???

5. Each of the theory multiple choice papers is out of 36. These are the approx gradings (although they can change slightly for each paper.

Foundation: total = 36, each paper is worth 12.5%

C -27
    D - 23
    E - 19
    F - 15
    G - 11
    U <11

The ISA is worth 20% of the marks and the gradings work out as approx

A* = 34
    A = 31
    B = 27
    C = 24
    D = 20
    E = 17
    F = 14
    G = 11

So in summary, as long as you get above 24/34 on the ISA and average at above 27/36 on each of the unit tests you should be confident of getting a C on the foundation tier.

6. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

If you are taking Science A you will be completing module tests. As there is always variance between the level of difficulty in the module tests, the marks are converted to a UMS score with each module being out of 50. A C grade works out at 30 / 50. The precise grade boundaries for any module can be found be searching on the AQA website. As far as the coursework goes you will need to complete a practical with exam called an ISA which will be worth 25% of your grade. The ISA is out of 34 with the following grade boundaries
    A* = 28
    A = 25
    B = 21
    C = 18
    D = 14
    If you are entering as a private candidate then you get a mark out of 6 added as you will not be able to do the practical skills assessment - the syllabus explains this part.

I would advise taking the foundation papers, spread throughout the year. If you do well in the first two then you could take higher papers for the other modules.

7. Whilst we're on the subject, could anyone give me some rough grade boundaries for the end papers for the AQA B single science syllabus, both foundation and higher.
    Want to try and and use roughly the same grade boundaries for my end of module tests, which I am going to be making up out of old questions, but this is my first year using this syllabus(and the new GCSEs full stop).

8. Thanks everyone for your advice. I am taking the first test in November; my tutor has said that we have the opportunity to retake them again in March and June if needbe.
    Off your advice I am going to go for the Foundation level first, only really because I am studying for my degree at the same time and have exams/assignments for that as well.
    What's frustrating though is the University I want to apply for is asking for a double science so I may have to take another science subject next year as well, or is there any way this one can be converted to a double if I do an extra year??

9. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Kate45 - are you looking fr the January or June papers from last year?