1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you miss?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TeacherMan19, Oct 7, 2020.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

36AC1056-6EEB-4F26-8E36-6B7848B3F0C8.jpeg DDC11DBE-C4D9-4DFB-AD65-C52E54A29F65.jpeg
    05FE6E5A-4DEF-4E83-886A-FCCE9019CBAA.png A593DD7E-BFF9-44C8-AAD3-1DB16323045C.jpeg

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

If you can buy it and ship it in a box to China, I'd be eternally grateful.

3. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Oh for 7pm....it’s 6:04pm here now and dark.

Yes 100%

4. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Nothing.

5. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Less and less - especially since Brexit...

ToK-tastic likes this.
  6. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

What I miss from the U.K. in no particular order:

The close proximity of family & friends
    The bargains you could get in clothing sales
    Generally safer & courteous drivers
    British humour, manners & spirit
    Countryside & walking trails
    Fish & chips
    Greater availability of organic foods at cheaper prices
    Cadburys
    Free delivery when ordering online - Amazon UK!
    Stronger school leaders or at least dedicated leadership who are trained in the profession
    Efficiency & infrastructure
    Health & safety
    Customer service
    Premier League football matches
    Absence of a language barrier
    Teachers' pension scheme
    Less traffic & pollution
    The sound of church bells & birds
    Less discrimination
    Recycling
    Cheaper car prices

stopwatch likes this.
  7. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Like Pam Ayres, I wish I'd looked after me teeth. Acquiring my implanted replacements was such a gruesome and expensive experience that I'm very careful of the real ones I have left. I rarely indulge, but the quality of the chocolate here in Spain is every bit as good or better than Cadburys and the range of products is greater.

If we come up behind a tractor, the driver will almost invariable pull over and use the height of his vehicle to wave us to overtake if it's safe to do so. And if we see more than half a dozen cars on the winding way to the village we mutter 'This place is getting like Piccadilly bloody Circus'.

8. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

6:45am BBC R4 Bells on Sunday.

I know it’s not the same, but it is rather comforting

motorhomer likes this.
  9. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Given your list motorhomer I would say you have been out of the UK for some time!! Many of the things that you mention are no longer available in the UK or are nowhere near as good as they were and are often more available abroad; e.g.
    The bargains you could get in clothing sales
    British humour, manners & spirit - lol
    Efficiency & infrastructure - lmao
    Customer service
    Less traffic & pollution - rotfl
    Less discrimination - yhgtbk

ToK-tastic likes this.
  10. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

It does also depend on where motorhomer is now

He may not be recalling a rose-tinted view of the UK.

He may be in a country where it is far worse than the UK is now.

There has been a decline in many countries, and some have never even reached the heights of even the "declined UK".

From motorhomer's list of 21, you only pooh-poohed 6.

motorhomer likes this.
  11. makhnovite

You are right Bytor but the ones I did not pooh-pooh were a bit more UK specific and a bit more about individual preferences; i.e. Cadbury's, Fish and chips, premier league football, church bells etc. The one's I did pooh-pooh are the ones that fuel the UK's current problems with arrogance, exceptionalism, and entitlement; imho of course :D

ToK-tastic likes this.
  12. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

I don't understand @makhnovite. Do you know where I'm currently based? Have you lived here? If not, how would you know how my current experience compares to what I experienced in the UK? Things in the UK may not be to your liking at the moment but that doesn't mean that it's worse than where I am at the moment or that I can't miss these things. Very strange...

13. makhnovite

Yes, you are right motorhomer, I miss these things too as they are not part of England (not sure about the rest of the UK as things look to be different Scotland, Wales and NI) anymore and have not been for almost 40 years.

British humour, manners & spirit
    Efficiency & infrastructure
    Customer service
    Less traffic & pollution
    Less discrimination

PS do I have to put quotation marks around my own . . . . . ? No surely not

ToK-tastic likes this.
  14. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

I shall not feed the troll.

15. WippleSnapple

WippleSnapple New commenter

At this point they may not even exist!

18 years overseas, affordable whisky is high up on my list of things I miss. Irn Bru sugar free, Wham bars and refresher bar. Scotch pies

Drinking from the tap.

16. Mainwaring

I miss the dead. I'm currently writing a book in which events in local history connect in some way with my family. For example, my sixth great grandfather, who died in 1727, supervised the execution of some of the 1715 Jacobite rebels. His daughter, my fifth great grandmother, clearly had a taste for soldiers because she bore illegitimate children by half a dozen of them. Whilst there is a lot of material online, some of the gaps can only be filled by examining original sources. So if Covid 19 ever allows a visit to the UK I'll be ferreting in dusty archives while the rest of you are necking Irn Bru and gorging on Milk Tray.

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  17. TeacherMan19

Certainly one way to spend the Christmas holidays...!

18. Mainwaring

Covid or not, we wouldn't be planning to spend Christmas in the damp, dismal UK. The choice would be between staying at home (turkey on a sunny terrace) or watching the grandchildren snowmobiling somewhere north of Duluth.

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  19. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

I don't really miss anything. I like the English countryside and I enjoy not being sweaty. I like traditional English pubs, preferably in a small village and I could murder a good curry.

I've been away 22 years and married to a non-Brit, which really dilutes everything. My Brit passport is about to expire and I'm not planning on renewing it.

20. TeacherMan19

..... Do you have another nationality passport to use instead?