1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you miss?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TeacherMan19, Oct 7, 2020.

1. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

We live abroad because we like it and don't need/want many of the things that our home country offers.

However, there's always something which you might wish your current country had that you miss a bit. Whether it be Golden Grahams cereal, milky way magic stars, marmite, Yorkshire tea...

What's the thing that you miss?

2. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Long daylight hours in summer and bright sunny winter days.
    Almost on the equator.

makhnovite and TeacherMan19 like this.
  3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

None of the above because they are all freely available here in Spain, though the only one on your list that we actually buy (yesterday, as it happens) is Marmite.

4. adrianwebb

adrianwebb New commenter

My parents seeing my children grow up

5. Morena123

Morena123 New commenter

My mum's roast dinners (I can't do them the same and have no desire to cook a roast in 35 degree, humid weather and my children don't even know what gravy or Yorkshire puddings are!!)

I'm embarrassed to admit to occasionally having a craving for random UK High Street chain restaurant food. I don't know why, I hardly ever ate in those places when I was there, but things like Wagamamas or Pizza Express! I think it's just because they feel like 'home' and are places I would have gone with my sister or friends.

I also miss shopping for kids' clothes in supermarkets. I would have stocked up on 2 years worth of nice, cheap, good quality clothes in Sainsbury's and Tesco this summer but sadly that was not to be...

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  6. skvo

skvo New commenter

Charity shops

Sukina likes this.
  7. TeacherMan19

For donating or buying?

Early yeara/primary school teachers find them a gold mine for classroom treasures. You don't know what you've got till it's gone..

8. TeacherMan19

Fortunately, China has Pizza Express and Wagas... Not that I visit. Also clothes are super cheap on Taobao so lucky us. I'm guessing you might be in the ME?

9. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

Long summer evenings, instead of it always being dark by 7pm.

The freedom to enter and leave this country and my country of birth without quarantine or red tape.

10. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

I don't really miss actual things as such. I do bring tea with me wherever I go! But I miss things being familiar or easy sometimes. I now miss things from Romania where I spent five years, part of me will always miss sarmale and ciorba!

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  11. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

After living in China for five years, what do I miss? Our lovely Chinese friends, Tsingtao, dumplings and being able to go out for dinner without worrying about the outrageous bill. What do i miss from the UK? My friends and bookshops.

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  12. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

The London Arts scene: Galleries, theatre, opera, ballet, live music, dance etc.
    Picking up the Sunday Newspapers in the West End on a Saturday evening before getting the Tube home.
    Summer cricket at Lords, The Oval, and knock-abouts on Regents Park & Prim Hill.
    Getting lost at Leighton House & The Ice House gallery.

that's about all. The misses are vastly overshadowed by the multiple mountains of things I don't miss, and for all of the things that I have gained by leaving.

13. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

My list of misses gets longer with each country I leave behind. And on rough days I still crave certain low end foodstuffs, high in e-numbers, specific to home. Every country has their own e-number specialities, but they're just not the same.

14. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I’m back in UK now, but in my 17 years overseas I missed:
    The seasons
    My house
    My close friends and family
    UK holidays
    A feeling of belonging and familiarity
    Proper conversations, particularly with shopkeepers and general public
    Supermarkets
    The city centre
    The outdoors
    Walking, particularly around the neighbourhood

There was probably more, but they are the main ones

15. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche Occasional commenter

My main reason for NOT going to live abroad in Europe has been my hobby - pretty niche and not widely practised overseas in non-English-speaking countries - now with COVID it looks like my hobby may not be available or even viable here in the UK for a long time. What's to stop me going now? Oh, yes, Brexit. Oh well.

16. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Shared past experience and a shared culture.

I saw a guy speaking at school the other day and he sounded exactly like someone from the sitcom One Foot in the Grave. It was absolutely uncanny. But there was no one to share this with as no one else had even heard of it.

It sounds like a small thing but it's the thing I miss the most. I was watching Peter Kay's Car Share a few days ago and missing British humour - the shared cultural experience required to undrstand something like that.

I occasionally make a throw-away joke to someone in the supermarket or bank or street of wherever and it just comes off as unusual, sarcastic and probably a little brash. Because people here are quite far-removed from the culture of the British. As I grow older it's something I miss more and more. I can meet people here, and we can go for a drink and share some jokes and laugh at that funny thing that happened at work, but it will never replace a night with your old mates in the pub.

quinnsafe and Duraz like this.
  17. TeacherMan19

...... What's the hobby? Why would Brexit stop you working abroad? The world is bigger than Europe...

18. Morena123

Morena123 New commenter

In Thailand, not the ME. They do sell clothes in the supermarkets but not the huge ranges and good quality of the UK!

I imagine when I finally get to go home, the likes of Wagas and Pizza Express will not satisfy me as much as they do in my imagination!

I can add real Cadbury's chocolate, not the foreign stuff, it's never the same!!

19. TeacherMan19

Real Cadburys is definitely high on lots of people's lists!

20. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I live, literally, about 100m from the Cadbury factory. With a prevailing (or is it following?) wind, you can smell the chocolate in our back garden.