1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you miss most at this time of the year?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

It's a time of nostalgia for many people. What do you most miss? I think I miss having young children around now that mine are grown up and my grandboys far away.

2. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

At Mass this morning, the Old Testament reading was from the Song Of Songs and referred to "my love" being like a young gazelle leaping from mountain top to mountain top.

I'm generally happier now than at any stage in my life, but I miss those days. :)

3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I started thinking about this question and found the process quite upsetting so I have put such thoughts to the back of my mind, locked them up and will lose the key for another year.

Unusual for me as I have few moments where what has been lost comes back to haunt me

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Sainsbury's home delivery!

I paid for an annual pass! They're not delivering this week OR doing click and collect.

Fume, fume, fume!

Saland45 likes this.
  5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to upset anyone.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm missing the big Christmas with my parents and my children. We sat down 11 several times and it was hard work but felt right. I'm really happy just to be three on Friday and will see others during the holiday but giving the big Christmas to my family was good. And the boys being young was lovely. They are still lovely mind you.

Saland45 and Lascarina like this.
  7. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

My grandmother. It's 5 years since she died but I still miss her madly.

I sometimes wonder if I miss being in a relationship at this time of year. It's been 5 years since the ex went and I haven't been interested in anyone since but it would be nice to share life with someone sometimes.

Lascarina, cuteinpuce and Saland45 like this.
  8. Saland45

Saland45 New commenter

I miss my mum....a lot....and then I miss the big family Christmas ...best one ever was when everyone had lunch together...since then each yr has gone past with fewer family wanting to be together...various reasons...but it makes me yearn for before Mum wasn't with us...silly I guess as it was so many yrs ago.....

9. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

No worries Lascarina. It's my problem not yours
    For the majority of people I'm sure the thread will be of help

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I miss being a young gazelle as well.

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

A young gazelle! Do they roam the plains of Malone and Stranmillis? Gosh. Who knew.

Still. You have fun as an old buck, I'm thinking.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Possibly but I wouldn't be accepted by those herds. I'm a goat compared to those impalas.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My Dad. I wish he could have met my dogs. He would have given me a long lecture on how pet ownership is a waste of time and money and then spent all of his time fussing them!

badger_girl and Lascarina like this.
  14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

At this time of the year I miss being on the other side of the Channel. Still, only a few months to wait.

15. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

My Dad, too. He died eighteen months ago.

I still talk to him all the time. I hope he can hear me, or will, one day.

bombaysapphire and Lascarina like this.
  16. vannie

vannie Star commenter

My Mum .....she would have been 70 n Christmas Eve. She died 3 years ago. I am now (just about) able to look back and laugh at all the Christmas fun she brought on no money - she was a single parent in the 70's - and how one year she worked on Christmas day on an egg farm so we could have Christmas presents. She was an absolute legend.

17. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Me too. I had my son in 1970. There was still a prevalent notion that if you were pregnant and single you would want to give your child up for adoption. I remember at my first ante natal appointment the matron saying, "you'll want it adopted,of course". Good on your mum for being such a good mum and so special.

Noja, bombaysapphire and vannie like this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Going to my grandparents for christmas - both long gone now sadly.

It was fun, but their house was totally unheated and invariably after xmas I would get some sort of cold/flu and then have to spend two days in bed recovering.

19. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I miss the big family Christmases with all us kids running around. I miss believing in Santa and the sheer joy of a chocolate santa and a toy and there's another present for me?

20. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

The window displays in the department stores, so exciting it warranted a special trip to town.

cuteinpuce likes this.