1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you miss about the UK?...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by rambo12, Jun 22, 2011.

1. I miss brown sauce and the odd TV show but apart from that I really dont miss the uk in the slightest!

2. Me too; not a thing.

3. Cold, wet, taxes, low-life, David Clegg, Nick Cameron, cost of living, quality of life.
    Tarty birds who wear next to nothing in the summer. And at Christmas.
    Gypsies, people who drink the water in the town I come from (where is Erin Brokovich when you need her..?), people with invisible arms (tatts), Community tax, road tax, tv licence, bath tax, shower tax, shitting tax (they are coming brothers...), Guinness and blackcurrant, Morrison's shoppers, sorry Morrisons' shoppers, not enough prisons, ASBOS, improper use of apostrophes, shit parenting, the underclass (growing impressively).
    Can get brown sauce in Cairo, though (HP!).
    Seriously, me mam and Greene King IPA (even that has its off days).

4. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Pavements.
    Corner Shops.
    The smell from the Chippy.
    People using English English rather than American English\
    Weather which doesn't leaving you sweating as soon as you step outside.
    Bacon (the stuff here is american style)
    The feeling that more than 50% of drivers have actually had a lesson on how to drive.

5. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Sainsburys!!

6. Why? Which isles?

7. Rolling hills, pub gardens with kids play grounds attached, humour (used to love the comedy store). decent Indian take outs, quality alternative/indie music.

8. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I was recently in Blighty for a course. I had forgotten such things as grossly overweight women teetering around on enormous high heels their bellies aquiver with last nights ale, their ar#e crack on show so that we can wonder at the fact that millenia after it was invented the British female has now dicovered twatoos. The manners of people getting on the tube, super injunctions, the cost of a bacon sandwich, the fact that British telly only shows top class fly on the wall documentarys which are cheap, and star cheap people. Yes I had forgotten all of these things, indeed when I left I am not sure any of these things actually happened, except in Newcastle which has long been known as the petri dish of existence.
    In answer to the OP. Topics...............
    A la Guerre,
    PC Perce

9. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

The Hobgoblin pub in Reading, bike riding in the beech woods near Goring and WOMAD.

10. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

The green fields of England - no snakes!

Apart from that not much except for paying sky high taxes so White trash can take drugs, so young women with bulging flesh out of micro minis can have 5 kids with 5 fathers and the layabouts can watch their 42 inch widescreen TVs or cruise around in mercs paid for by tax payers (some of my parents neighbours - the cars are mobility scheme for "disabled people" = dodgy doctors signed off *** layabouts).

11. Jaupua

Jaupua New commenter

I'm surprised none of you have said The Express/Mail. Ah, you'll all be getting them on line then.

12. Low blow, Jaupua, very low blow...

13. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

The Isle of Yew on Pearson's Flash. I first met Mrs M there. It's very romantic if you can ignore the metal palm trees.

14. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

St James's Square in the spring and Hatchards only five minutes stroll away. The Devon landscape around Tiverton in the summer. The Derwent in the autumn and the Crown in Belfast on a winter night.
    Not the chavvish hordes and the Coalition of the unwilling.

15. 576

576 Occasional commenter

They sell The Mail in my local supermarket.
    Costs about 3 quid though!!

16. orangepatriot

orangepatriot New commenter

I miss popping out to the corner shop on a Saturday morning, buying a Guardian Weekend Edition and spending the best part of the day drinking coffee, reading the paper and listening to Radio 4.
    Having said that since leaving the UK I have had children, so even if I were back there I'd not be able to do this anyway.... oh well, no need to rush back!

17. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Occasional commenter

I'm sure I must say this everytime the question comes up, but I miss being able to be trousers that aren't 20-30 cm too long.

18. groovybob

groovybob New commenter

I went to the Expat shop and was in heaven as I drove home drinking IronBru and noshing on a pork pie!!!
    cost a fair penny though

Groovy

19. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

The problem is there are generally 2 camps:
    "UK is sh1t, I don't want to go back there and neither should you. It is cold, wet, full of chavs, depressing, and economically down the pan"
    and
    "I love the rolling hills, cheap/variable supermarkets, culture, chatty shopkeepers blah blah blah"
    Neither camps will change their viewpoints (and neither should they) but expect you to change yours.
    Make your choice BUT respect those who choose different.

20. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

..... I love UK, can avoid the chav culture if I am careful, and would live there at the drop of a hat if money was no object
    VIVE UK!