1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you make of your new class?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by captain oats, Sep 9, 2011.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

After 3 days with my new class I think I have pretty much sussed them out....

When they are working and have a task to complete they get on with it with little fuss/no talking (great!)

However, they have a very short attention span and they cannot be talked at for very long, a minute seems to be the perfect time - which I have never had to this extent with Year 5 before!

So it looks like I will be adapting my teaching this year, short, snappy activities and not very much talking from me!

What about yours??

2. Had my year 4s for 7 days now and they finally looked and worked as I had asked them to. What were they doing I hear you ask - colouring!!!!!
    Nose back to the grindstone again Monday then. They <u>will</u> learn my expectations of them!!!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've only actually had a day and a half in the classroom with my new year 2s, so it is too early to say really. But things will definitely be different next week!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As a supply I often find this with classes. Given work they will comply -but me trying to talk to them -forget it!
    Must be something to do with modern upbringing?(As in families don't expect them to be quiet and listen rather than being critical of parenting.)

5. Mine seem a nice bunch but they are really chatty!

6. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I hate my new class(yr 6). I previously thought they were quite mature but actually now I've had them a week I realise they are very childish, fussy and needy. They chatter constantly, can't line up in register order, have bladder issues (3 or 4 of them ask for the toilet every lesson). I'm on the verge of going round the local secondary schools and begging for my old class back!

7. Sorry flickaz, but this made me laugh, as I have said pretty much the same about my kids!
    I had an amazing class last year, first time teaching year 4. This year, think I have been dropped in it a bit. Oh well, 25 days till half term for us!!