1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you make of this? (Warning - women's stuff)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by perdita, Feb 1, 2011.

1. One of my colleagues had to deal with a very tearful girl today. The girl in question had started her period unexpectedly and went to the office to see if she could get a pad. (They've got a huge stash in there). She didn't have any money on her so wasn't allowed to have one and was sent back to her lesson.
    Needless to say, an hour later she was sopping wet, embarassed and extremely upset. They wouldn't let her go home to get changed and by the end of the day was distraught and unable to sit down for fear of leaving an embarrasing wet patch.
    Have we lost the plot or what?!

2. That is SHOCKING.
    Could no-one lend her the twenty pence or so? Teacher? Office staff?
    Could no-one suggest a wad of toilet roll???

3. I am not a parent but if I was the mother of this child I would be absolutely furious with the school. How awful for the girl and what a sad sad situation that the office could be so thoughtless as to send her away without anything.
    I'm sure they could have spared a few pence worth of sanitary towel and if the money really was such an issue they could have given it to her on an IOU.

Idiots.

4. My colleague ended up giving her one of her own, but by that time she was in a horrible, embarrasing mess. Poor kid.

5. That's awful!!

Why didn't they just give her one?! They're free from the nurse in my school :/

6. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Your colleague must speak to the office or someone with clout re this. How disgusting that the school allowed such a deeply personal and embarassing situation get so out of hand.

7. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Certainly not on.

8. Absolutely disgraceful! Poor kid.

9. She certainly plans to. I hope the girl's mother makes a huge fuss as well. I would if my daughter was treated like this.

10. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Disgusting of whoever made that decision!

11. chocolatelover

chocolatelover New commenter

That is horrible.
    I can't believe the office wouldn'y give her a pad! Why is school charging for them? I could understand if someone was asking every month ... but as an emergancy they should be given out!
    I am sure that there will be a complant tomorrow from a parent! Poor girl. :(

12. If this happened to one of my nieces (or any relative) I would be considering writing to a newspaper.
    It's a dreadful thing to happen to the poor girl.I always remember pads being free.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

OMG - that is inhuman. Surely one of the office staff could have given her one of their own?
    She must have felt totally humiliated. I hope her parents complain loudly and long.

14. I'd also complain if this was my daughter.
    I hope the girl is ok, she must feel terribly humiliated, poor thing.

15. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I've had to do this before. One of my colleagues has refused to do it but I don't think its a pleasant experience for the students so I try to be a bit sympathetic. Such a shame the poor girl has had such a bad first experience.

16. One for the Daily Mail, I think!

17. That's appalling!
    If this was my daughter, I would be in school first thing tomorrow to complain! Poor girl.

18. I feel I should qualify - I don't think this was her first time. Still inexcusable though.

19. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Pads are free at our place- I've had them myself a couple of times if I've been caught out. I can't believe any decent person wouldn't give someone a sanitary pad if they needed one!
    Poor girl, I hope she has a nicer time tomorrow.

20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Agree. Shocking behaviour on the part of the school.