1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you look for in a house?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, May 7, 2012.

1. I am looking to buy a house and I know, having studied the market what I would want. I have more or less decided on a three storey three bed with small garden (I mean small!!) and three loos, including an en suite. It is on a small estate. Brand new, so there will be a new house premium on it but obviously no chain. No garage and not a lot of storage. Same house with a garage and a nicer garden is +£15,000.
    Would this appeal to you?
    I have also looked at a three bed with no downstairs loo and no en suite, on a large estate in a less sought-after village, but near a leisure centre. Also a two bed with the most wonderful garden suitable for someone who wants to be more or less self-sufficient and backing on to a stately home - this one is, I think. non-standard construction, so may be less easy to sell in the future. And a fair bit more than the others.
    It is for investment, professional let. I am just wondering whether most people are looking for the same kind of thing?

2. I am looking to buy a house and I know, having studied the market what I would want. I have more or less decided on a three storey three bed with small garden (I mean small!!) and three loos, including an en suite. It is on a small estate. Brand new, so there will be a new house premium on it but obviously no chain. No garage and not a lot of storage. Same house with a garage and a nicer garden is +£15,000.
    Would this appeal to you?
    I have also looked at a three bed with no downstairs loo and no en suite, on a large estate in a less sought-after village, but near a leisure centre. Also a two bed with the most wonderful garden suitable for someone who wants to be more or less self-sufficient and backing on to a stately home - this one is, I think. non-standard construction, so may be less easy to sell in the future. And a fair bit more than the others.
    It is for investment, professional let. I am just wondering whether most people are looking for the same kind of thing?

3. Must have: Off street parking, two toilets
    Desirable: Garage Conservatory
    Don't get why people want: En suite

4. Off street parking, yes. Tbh, no room really for a conservatory, I don't think. Thank you! I like an en suite because it is just a quick stagger in the middle of the night. I havemn't got one at the moment though.

5. I rent at the moment.
    2 and a bit bedrooms, nasty staircase, small rooms, tiny kitchen, 1 inadequate bathroom and a HUGE garden. All in a 150+ year old house in a very rural area.
    We are looking for someting similar to buy!
    Sorry, I meant to start with, almost anything will find the right renter, even our out of the way, isolated house!
    But for a professional couple, the new one sounds good! All mod cons and little outside upkeep!

6. That would panic me. I have lots of stuff and I need a cupboard for the hoover and cleaning stuff and somewhere to keep all the **** that comes with owning a car and a garden (god forbid, I'd actually put the car into the garage!)
    I'd have that one BUT I'd be less keen to plant a garden in a rented house in case I wasn't there when the plants matured.

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I look for a house that is safe for cats.

8. My houses are always safe for cats, Lurky!
    Airy I am thinking they would need somewhere for the lawnmower - I could put in a small shd or an outside storage unit. Less keen on the extra £15,000 for a garage though!!

9. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Storage and a garden would be much more important to me than a second loo or off road parking.

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Personally - I rent and looking for this place my main concern was that everything was on one level, fairly wide doorways, fairly low kitchen work-surfaces, kitchen cupboards <u>not</u> 8ft off the ground (whay do people have cupboards so high?!), and a bathroom that could be converted into a wet-room......but then I'm not your typical house-hunter!

Mum has a house that she lets - the three features that most people seem to appreciate in her property are...
    The parking space. (You can pay quite a premium for a parking space round here!)
    The location (Catchment area for a good Primary and a good/outstanding High School)
    The loft conversion - gives a very bright/airy and large room.

Not so sought after features of the property -
    The en-suite
    The 'feature' fireplaces (really gorgeous, but not something people are prepared to factor in to rental prices)

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm hoping that someone will be looking for a ground floor flat with a big living room and 3 double bedrooms, 1 bathroom, a tiny internal kitchen and a lovely, lovingly planted garden which is owned by whoever owns this flat (communal garden at back of building). By the time it's finished it will be re-decorated throughout and will have new carpets/vinyl in all but 2 bedrooms.
    When I bought this flat I needed the 3 bedrooms and didn't really cook so the internal kitchen was fine. There's a shower cabinet and sink in the 'master' bedroom so one bathroom was okay until my son was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis - two loos would have been great then. Because it's a tenement the rooms are spacious with high ceilings - too big for me to cope with now; I used to be able to paper and paint no bother...I'm too old for that malarkey now.
    Things I couldn't do without: adequate storage inside and outside (airy's right about vacuums, ladders, ironing boards, gardening stuff etc) and a manageable garden!

12. Oooh! But almost too much house and not enough garden - I want a pig and goats as well as the chickens [​IMG]

13. I also like to think about the must not haves:
    A lamppost outside the bedroom window (suffered that for a year in rented accomodation!)
    A shared drive - hellish!
    Badly placed shared fence - some people try to pinch a bit of extra garden.
    Neighbours with anti-social teenagers- sadly not always evident until you move in.

14. Yes, teenage boys working on clapped out old cars or worse still - motorbikes!! Things like the lamp post - you just wouldn't think, would you? Now, is that one word two pees, one word two pees hyphenated? Or two words??
    Have just put in an offer on the three storey one. Awaiting the directors' response. Always been one to go straight to the top, me.

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I look for a well stocked fridge, forgotten treasures in a shoe box, cash stashed in a Celebrations tin, electrical goods and priceless paintings . . . . . .. . damn, that's me given the game away . . [​IMG]

16. Who do you think will want to rent a house like this? Having no storage seems a major downside for a renter. 3 storeys are a pain.

17. Well we'll soon find out. Mick. More and more houses are three storey, certainly around here.
    Many thanks for all your contributions, I love hearing about other people's houses, looking around them is even better!

18. Seren, 3 double beds would be pretty unheard of down here. Is it on the market already? Do I need to start looking up North??

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Storage. You can never have enough storage.
    Parking - must be easy, no permit.
    Neighbourhood
    Kitchen storage
    Decent size bedrooms