1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you look for in a "fantasy" novel?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Ivartheboneless, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I realise this is a popular genre and encompasses many different things from Game of Thrones (which I have not read yet, but have the first one) to historical fiction which plays with history, or imagines different history. I first tried it (well I read LOTR when I was about 15, but who didn't?) with that Thomas Covenant stuff when I was at uni in the early 80s, but could not get on with it. I went off sci fi, because it is too much of a cheat with time machines, warp drive, and all the other stuff. I ended up with historical fiction (like Romans, Medieval war stuff, Bernard Cornwell (who is a bit variable), some Viking stuff which varies as some is just about battles and stuff, but some has Norse gods popping up magicking. There are magic swords, dragons, witches and warloks, sorcerors. A lot of "fantasy books" seem to be incredibly long like GoT, but are they too much? By page 400 have you lost the plot? What do readers prefer?

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

It depends where in Fantasy I am visiting (edit to include credit)
    [​IMG]

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I look for real human characters. I want to see how real people live in this fantasy word, and be able to imagine myself and people I know htere

4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Thanks, that's more or less what I think too. All the dragons and spell stuff are not for me. Your characters from a time gone by (or that never happened) can believe in such stuff, and gods and all that, but it does not make it any more readable.