1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you like best about the 6 week holiday?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by highschooler, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Well, here we are again - the big one. We have a lovely 6 weeks ahead of us. But what do you like best about it? For me it's:
    the feeling on the first Sunday that there's no work tomorrow or for another 6 weeks
    not having to wear a tie
    slobbing around in shorts and sandals/flip-flops
    being able to watch late films or listen to music late into the night
    the odd sleep-in
    .....and loads of other things that don't spring to mind right now.
    How about you?

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

Sunday nights and evenings without the guilty "have I done everything for tomorrow?"
    P

3. Not having to go to work.
    Not having to wear a watch.
    Eating when I'm hungry, sleepoing when I'm tired, going to the loo when I need to and not when I'm allowed to.
    Wearing whatever I want.
    And yes, Sundays are much nicer.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Everything. Just like the kids!

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Drinking the bottle of Jack Daniels I was given as a thank-you present

6. grrr .. I'm jealous, dz! Enjoy.

7. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I do not have to get up at 5.30 am. This for me is definitely the biggest plus. I will never get used to having to wake up this early for work!
    Also, I have time to catch up with friends,stay out a bit later and do more things like excercise!

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

6 weeks seems so little, the Russians finish school on 31st May and go back on 1st Seoptember, most of Europe finishes in June and back in September, why are the summer hols so short in England?

9. bnm

bnm

Today. I am exhausted, but I can allow the exhaustion to overtake me, instead of putting it off, and I know the new, butterfly me will emerge in a few weeks' time.

10. Not having to set the alarm clock, sheer bliss. [​IMG]

11. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

- The ability to completely unwind. In every other holiday, you no soon 'wind down' as you have to get back into work mode again; the summer hols is the only time I truly get out of my work head.
    - No bells
    - Getting to drink a FULL cup of tea, as opposed to the two sips I manage to take at break time (and even those burn the roof of my mouth off).
    - Having the time and energy to exercise whenever I want. I'm a bit backwards, I always LOSE weight in the holidays because I don't comfort eat due to stress and can exercise more often.
    - Not having to be in a bitchy, two-faced environment...
    - ...and not having to be civil to those people who have repeatedly been b1tchy behind my back
    - Eating when I'm hungry/when I want to, not because I have to as it's the alloted time of day for eating
    - Wearing open-toed shoes
    - Meeting friends for coffee/lunch/early dinner just because we're not at work so we can
    - Reading a book start to finish in a day, in the garden
    - Getting all the bills and paperwork filed away - the ones that have been dumped in a drawer since Christmas because I haven't had time to tidy;
    - Finally proeprly emptying the washing basket and getting all my clothes on hangers instead of scruched up in the "ironing basket"

It would be quicker to list the things I DON'T like about the summer holidays....

Errrmmmmmmmm.....

I'll get back to you....

12. Eva_Smith

I got one of these too! I was astounded as a large bottle isn't cheap! I actually contacted the parent just to check the pupil hadn't brought it in without their knowledge. Very generous (and well appreciated, since I don't drink wine but received about 10 bottles of the stuff from various people - I have left the school though so they were leaving presents, not just cos I'm amazing).

13. Eva_Smith

Ha ha, try saying that loudly in a room full of non-teachers and see how much abuse you get.

But I agree, we really should get longer ha ha!

14. Nice one! Maybe a female perspective but one I can relate to :)

15. henriette

henriette New commenter

well you might - those of us who break up next week and go back in teh week August becomes September have only 5 and a half!!

16. anon468

anon468 New commenter

(((henriette))).
    I'll say it again - I think that's completely rubbish. [​IMG]

17. What do I like best about the 6 week holiday?

Easy-not getting scratched, slapped or bitten (I work with students with severe challenging behaviour). It gives good time for the current wounds I've got to heal before I get any new ones! Other than that, I like the lieins!

18. Why do put up with this? If you don't like it move to another school.

19. Well - hip hip hurray - I have wangled THREE consectutive weeks off.
    Boy, will I enjoy them.[​IMG]

20. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I wonder how many of these gifts of Jack Daniels bottles be recorded of your tax accounts? As You are public servants, you supposed to account for them.
    I sincerely hope not many, if any of you do, as I believe any teacher that gets one didn't earn it from doing a 9.00 - 3.30 job.
    But I'll be keeping my eye on some of you on Opinion if you start complaining about perks in other walks of life.
    And may I take the opportunity to wish you a very happy and well-deserverd break. It lasts shorter than you hope, so make the most of it while you can.
    But it's worthwhile to reflect that it's this time of year, not only kids you've taught, but colleagues move on to new ventures. Do you ever ponder where they all end up?
    Here's a song to entertain you as you consider this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xODjbfYw8&feature=related