1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

***What do you inc in a Nursery Pack?***

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Ms_Smiles, May 21, 2017.

1. Ms_Smiles

Ms_Smiles New commenter

Hi all,

I am thinking of giving my new nursery parents a "pack" prior to their children starting in September.

They have already received a comprehensive pack inc the usually stuff like opening hours, staff info, daily routine, safeguarding etc.

Do any of you also give an additional pack?

I'm thinking along the lines of an all about me factsheet, phonics sound mat, number rhymes. Things of this nature.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I wouldn't give a phonics sound mat. That would be beyond what I would expect Nursey to need. Number rhymes, nursery rhymes, games, ideas for pre writing skills and outline of what they may get up to would be good. Staff who will work with their child, school routines-collection, drop off info, things they need every day- coats, wellies, change of clothes etc

Oh finally, a form for them to fill in giving names and contact details of any person they will regularly allow to collect their child.

Info and consent for any on line learning journey you use.

Actually, I get quite frustrated when parents forget some of the above, but having written it as a list I realise what a lot we expect them to remember, especially if it is their first child!

bonxie likes this.
  3. Ms_Smiles

Ms_Smiles New commenter

Thanks for your reply.

Most of the things that you have suggested have already been given as part of their "Welcome Pack."

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

At the moment it sounds like all the admin-type stuff has already been sorted. So what would be the purpose of the additional pack? I'm not saying you shouldn't do one, but you do need to think about why you would create it. You don't want to create another bunch of paperwork for parents to shuffle through once and then forget about! It needs to have a purpose - and once you've figured that out, it will help you to decide what you should put in it.

5. May2

May2 Established commenter

I was thinking similarly to Kartoshka. The parents don't want to feel bombarded with too much stuff. Not too sure if this is a Nursery class i.e. 3 year olds or younger. A nice idea I got from TES many years ago was having a big cuddly class bear that the children took in turns to take home for the night or weekend and parents wrote about what they got up to with the bear , children drew pictures and there might be some photos. This can work well if parents don't become too competitive. However you might not want to send the bear home but may still have a class bear.
    We had a photo of the bear and made it like a postcard. Then during the school holiday before the children started the bear would write to each child on this 'postcard' saying something like
    Dear... I can't wait for you to join ....Class . We have so much fun at Nursery. Don't forget to give me a big cuddle on your first day! Love....bear The children really loved receiving their own post and parents loved it too. I used to handwrite them from the bear which was a bit time consuming depending on how many new children, but you could print it. It was just a nice welcoming thing for those that were a bit unsure when they first came in and so could look for the bear.

I know it's not quite what you were asking but I thought I'd share as others might be interested too!

Kartoshka likes this.