1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you have on your walls?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TEACHER16, Feb 8, 2012.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

What classroom displays do you have up in your classroom. I am looking for some inspiration to find out what other teachers have on their walls in terms of maths, english and topic and working walls.

2. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

What classroom displays do you have up in your classroom. I am looking for some inspiration to find out what other teachers have on their walls in terms of maths, english and topic and working walls.

3. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Tough one. How often do the kids really look at the walls. I've been advised about everything from learning walls to exemplary work and tried most of them. My advice is not to overcrowd them - I don't know about you, but I find a classroom where I have to duck to walk through it quite oppressive. WOW words are good, especially if you add to them as you come across them and make sure the kids know how to use them. VCOP stuff can be good as well. I have always found that epic topic displays encourage the children the most. Have just put a 6 foot volcano on my wall - the kids are desperate to have their topic work up on the wall now!

4. pjhewett

pjhewett New commenter

The best display I ever had was large 3D Vesuvius erupting complete with cotton wool 'pumice' attached to wires. It was awesome!

I have a 'fantastic work' display which I change regularly - but I am unsure how useful classroom displays are to learning except for helpful items like times tables and wow words etc.

5. I get one of our house teams to do a display once a term. I tend o give them the theme but then leave the content upto them. Some have been great and some are a little thin on the ground. The point being though that the children love the responsibilty (and staying in at lunchtime!).

6. Working walls in classrooms and best work in shared and common areas for us. Children use the working walls now because they've been told often enough to use them and in recent literacy monitoring, during pupil interviews, the children identified that they had plenty to support their learning in maths and writing but not enough for reading. So, that's the challenge for us. Routinely my walls have:
    - questioning display, used as basis for all sorts cross curricular.
    - visual behaviour management display
    - class monitors, changed regularly so we all get a chance at different things.
    - thinking and learning vocabulary to support learning about learning.
    - questions and sentence starter prompts for discussing learning.
    - a space where we record mind maps generated at the beginning of topics, identifying what we already know and questions we want to be able to answer as a focus for our learning. Leaving these on display means we return to them frequently.
    - noise-o-meter
    - space for support material for literacy text purposes, such as Pie Corbett's storylines or a non-fiction skeleton (& blanks of all non fiction skeletons are hanging in pockets ready to use whenever we want to). This display will also have the language features of the text purpose and collection examples of these wherever necessary, such as time connectives at the moment.
    - maths is a 100 square, mathematical vocab and key information to our learning.
    - blends and rhyme patterns and Read,Write Inc sounds
    - days of the week and months for sequencing in both English and Welsh, plus whatever key language patterns we are learning in Welsh 2nd language.
    - laminated card display titled 'key words' and ' To ............ I need to ..........'. These are for AfL and record key vocabulary and our success criteria for the lesson. My dry wipe board is minute, so the laminated sheets free up space.

I can't believe I have all that on my walls but it is all there. Earlier in the year I asked my class to take photos of everything in the classroom which helped them learn (wanted it for a course) and they took photos of the lot, plus things like the IWB, visualised, flip chart, net books, iPods and book corner.

7. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

8. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I would love some inspiration as a new teacher...would you mind taking photos and sending me them? I would love to have an interactive reading display to promote reading and to help children choose books but I dont really know where to start.

9. I'll send you some photos if you have email. Reading is under represented in all that list (guilty as charged by the children!) and I'm going to pad out some ideas over half term based on a class discussion we had today. Not in class till after half term so won't be for a week. None of them is overly fancy, but work well for us and are straightforward enough to change and update without much fuss.

10. I'll send you some photos if you have email. Reading is under represented in all that list (guilty as charged by the children!) and I'm going to pad out some ideas over half term based on a class discussion we had today. Not in class till after half term so won't be for a week. None of them is overly fancy, but work well for us and are straightforward enough to change and update without much fuss. A number of that list are displays which all staff in the school have (afl, literacy, questioning, text purposes, behaviour management). However, they all look different. I've been discussing working walls today with the NQTs I mentor and she finds it useful to think about what notes she has to make for herself when planning at the beginning of the term. Often this is information children will benefit from. I also don't panic about computerising (is that a word?) everything. My headings and labels are either computer printed or done in my neatest handwriting (which I also think is important) but if we plan as a class on paper and we are going to need it I just blue-tack it up. Children also then see a difference between best and note taking writing. I also use post-it notes daily, which are added wherever necessary.

Have you asked your class what they might find useful?