1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what do you have in your book corner to make it look inviting??

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cath1980, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Would really like to make our book corner and writing area look more appealing. What do you have? There is no money left in the budget but I am willing to buy some things.

2. k_e

k_e

I've given mine a jungle theme by getting some patterned pillows from ebay, printing off the snakes from sparkle box which I've added some book related questions to and got a leaf canopy from ikea. You could easily give your book area a sea theme for cheaper with the help of mister ********** by prining off some of the sound sea stuff, getting a fish net and ripping up different geern tissue paper to look like sea weed.

3. Our book corner is very popular with our children. We have made a huge effort to make it that way because many of the children come from book free homes and have not learnt to love books and stories (which I see as a crucial precursor to reaading -otherwise why would they want to learn to read?)
    We sarted the year with a canopy made from fine muslin curtains draped over long cardboard tube stapled to the display boards behind which looked lovely and inviting. Only lasted about 3 or 4 weeks until it fell down, with a little help from the unmamageables! However it was long enough to make it a popular area to be in and it still is.
    As well as that we have a comfy chair, a colourful rug and a large cushion as well as some scatter cushions. The children started to take thier shoes off to go in there (I think because they are Muslims and many of them remove shoes to go into carpeted areas in their homes) which shows they have developed a respect for the area. That could also be a lot to do with the fact that I have made such a fuss when it has been left in a mess, and we have spent a lot of time with adult support in there too.
    The books are many and varied but importantly they include many picture books and lift the flap books as well as some interesting book packs which the children love taking out and putting back together again. Also copies of all the books (multiple copies if necessary ) that We ever read to the class. This term we thinned the books out a bit and will change them over after the holiday.
    We also have posters on the wall and a space where they can display their own work - this started because one child found a blob of blue tak and decided to put up a picture she had drawn nex to our posters!
    This term we have introduced a cd player with some story book and cd packs and a nursery rhyme cd and book, which after initial introduction with adult support the children love to use by themselves. They also know how to keep it down to a level that is not too intrusive to the rest of the class. Our mainly EAL children love listening to stories and rhymes and following pictures in the books. They also learn to share and wait heir turn .My next aim is to have the stories in their home languages on cd for them to play too.
    Oh and puppets relating to stories/rhymes and other soft toys too!
    Sorry this is such a long post but I think book corners are so important and get really upset when I go into Year 1 and 2 classes and they have a book box stuck in the corner with maybe a chair or 2 next to it!
    Good luck, but don't spend too much money - ours has been trashed a few times, books torn, cd cases broken and cushions weed on (accidentally) before the respect developed! I'm really glad you asked because it has made me realise that this is one area children have learnt to respect a little more.

4. missjivebunny

missjivebunny New commenter

Andalucia, that was a lovely positive post! I agree with your point about the importance of having an adult in the area to model good book behaviour, and to introduce new things like the CD player, and of course to read stories. We have lots of children who have never handled books too, and find that lots of them use them as scoops, weapons and slidey shoes at the beginning of the year, before they realise what they are for.

5. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

I think to keep their interest in the book corner it is good to change the theme of it regularly.
    When we did our colour topic we hung the parachute from the ceiling over a hoop to make it represent a hot air balloon and covered a large cardboard box with some material to make it cosy and to look like the basket under the balloon and then put a big cushion inside so about 3 children could sit in it.
    When we did travel/transport we got a large long box and a smaller square box . We covered them with blue backing paper and put a Thomas the Tank Engine face on the front .We put the books in the smaller box at the front with the face on and put cushions in the longer box which the children sat in, making it the carraige. The children also collaged a Fat Controller to go on the wall next to it.
    We have also used a cheap pop up tent for the book corner but it can be a bit dark for llooking at books but then they like having torches to 'read' in the dark.
    We have also made it into a tree house with tall box and material linking to autumn, or snowy igloo with white material over a pop up tent.

Pop up tents we find really usefulespecially in music area as it contains the sound a bit and limits it two 3 children at a time.
    Hope these ideas help.

6. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

Woops!!
    Pop up tents we find really useful especially in music area as it contains the sound a bit and limits it to 3 children at a time

7. Some really good responses!! I don't have nothing new to add really except that we try and make it somewhere enclosed (ish) so that the children can go there to feel safe and cosy. Even if its not used for them to read I think its good for them to have an area like that. Up until recently we just stapled a blue cloth with glod stars over it across the book shelves and cushions so that they could go underneath, and we've just taken that away and put a pop up tent in with loads of cushions. There are also quite a few cuddly toys in there so that they can have a cuddle or read the stories to their toy - this is obviously an area where a lot of children go to when they're upset or just want a bit of peace. I found loads of pictures of favourite characters from google images and printed them out and laminated them, and stuck them all around the area with pictures of the children reading together. They love the book area! xxx

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Mosquito nets make lovely canopies in the corner of a room, with cushions scattered underneath.
    It's possible to buy them in England but you'll have to hunt online unless you live in a big city.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

<a>[​IMG]I have this one in my storytelling area
    [/URL]

10. I have a full sized sofa in mine, and drapes above. It is themed "Under the Sea" at the moment, with a rainbow fish display. The children love the sofa if you have rrom to put one in. It is so comfortable, and they love popping off their shoes and snuggling up to read a book or magazine. I am very proud of it.

11. I put puppets in mine to encourage those who are not 'into' books. Oh and newspapers, magazines and comics too.

12. Adding a lamp with a cheap and cheerful lampshade from ikea makes the area really relaxed. Scatter some colourful cushions from here too. I'd recommend doing a feature every so often on a popular author. Including books that the children have made themselves is encouraging too.
    http://learningparade.typepad.co.uk/

13. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

pop up tents are great for an outdoor reading area too - the boys love it!
    We also have reading buddies - big soft cuddly toys that the children can snuggle up to while they read; they really like these.

14. Sorry to snip your quote! I accidentally found out what a good idea this is. We made a book as part of a Literacy project and that became the most popular book in the book area! They would take turns to read it to each other and the others would all listen nicely (doesn't often happen!)

15. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

hi I havent read all the replies so maybe repeating:We have 5 summer rounded kids chairs n the book case, our reading area is always used, it is in a central location, not an actual corner, has sparkles laminated pics for reading area stuck around, but the main thing I believe is that it is tidy and organised with good quality books. Number rhymes/ non-fiction/stories/mini hard backs..............i throw anything that gets tatty
    Sometimes if an area is not used it is good to move it, we have done this with several areas aftter evaluating.................im rambling and wasnt even yr question sorry