1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you get you BA/SEN to do when other groups are writing?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by michie_49, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    Im currently teaching a Year 1 class and we are about to start to write our own versions of Little Red Riding Hood. I have at least 8 children in the class who find it very hard to write unsupported and get very little out of these sorts of lessons unless their ideas are scribed. I have very little TA time during the week (5hours in total) so often end up supporting this group-which is fine and they do get to share their ideas verbally which they also need lots of practice in BUT I do feel that during these sorts of lessons I really need to be moving the other groups along with their sentence structure/vocab etc. I was just wondering what sorts of activites other people set for their lower acheiving children that are still meaningful and worth while. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

2. Sorry typo in title etc been on trip today so very tired!

3. inq

inq

We got our very SEN ones to draw a story board of their story and try and write a word or two underneath each picture. It is really hard though as when you go back and ask them to tell you what they've written they can't read it and can't remember.
    If it isn't essential that they write at that point then I sometimes give them an ICT based task that will be appropriate to their level - on Education City or Phonics Play. I can then get a TA to scribe their story for them, sometime I get them to copy it out - it depends what the LO is.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can you give them a picture version to colour?

Can you give them a simplified written version and get them to fill in gaps?

Can they copy key words from the story? Or key sentences?

5. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Do they need extra phonics? More speaking and listening activities? Cut up sentences? ELS?

I'd say you have to pin point why they are BA, what is preventing them from accessing the lessons? Could your TA be taking them from the start of the literacy lesson and work with them?

6. What about them telling the story verbally? At a previous school we had little recording board things with 20 buttons - the children recorded their story onto there in the sections. That way they're thinking about sentence structure but they're not having to write anything down. They are very easy to use and could do the work independently.

7. Just googled it and the recording thing is called a Chatterbox from TTS. They were great to use, especially with younger children.