1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you get a 5/6 month old fo Christmas?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by marlin, Dec 4, 2011.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

2. andromache

andromache New commenter

it's been a while, but i remember very small people like books with different textures that they can chew on.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Have a look at
    www.kidstoyworld.co.uk
    Old-fashioned, wooden toys starting from under £5, grouped by suggested ages...I think they are wonderful!

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I'd agree with Bethannie about the wooden toys. They look great on display, the parents will love them...and the babe might one day play with them (experience suggests that they will go for brightly coloured plastic every thine, the more trashy and irritating the better!!). Or something cute to wear - hats in the design of Christmas puddings/strawberries are very attractive, as are daisy root shoey things (little leather bootees that actually stay on), or you could get something by whoozit (I think Lamaze make them) if you're feeling educational...! Or some nice crockery/cutlery. Just try and Pitch it to the parents, and everyone will be happy - bacause baby will be far more intersted in pretty paper and boxes!

6. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I wouldn't have thought that a child so young would actually need a Christmas present!

7. A box and some wrapping paper.

8. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Thank you for all your suggestions[​IMG] x

9. I'd second the chewy book suggestion.

10. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

My 4 month old nephew is getting nappies for Christmas.

11. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

No, it hasn't been proven as being educational. However in moderation I can't see what harm it does. The images and classical music are lovely.
    Of course babies need to explore the real world. That can be done when they go to the park, visit friends and family, go to mother & baby groups ... or even the supermarket!
    My niece watches her DVD for 15 minutes a day while my sister whizzes round the flat getting things done. Everyone's happy and no damage done.
    For what it's worth OP, I don't know of many mums who haven't owned a Baby Einstein DVD at some point or another, but feel free to make up your own mind.

12. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

At 9 months old, mine had a stocking full of baby wipes, talc, bubble bath etc. They get so much from elsewhere that their main concern is unwrapping! How many of us remember the bitter disappointment of Auntie X's present at Christmas when we were that age?

13. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

14. What about baby cuttlery or tableware - assuming he is being weaned at the moment, or will be soon.

15. I am of the view that a baby doesn't really care about receiving presents. I'd save your money (you won't be able to do it when he's older) and let him enjoy the lights, baubles of the tree and play with the wrapping paper and boxes.
    Even when mine were little boys and I bought them a fairly large toy tractor for Christmas, they still - for months on end - played all sorts of games in the enormous box that contained it!

16. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

as said before, a large carboard box, some nice shiney paper that rustles when you scrump it up and tastes good when you suck it to oblivion.
    Some money into a savings account ? Relatives will provide soft toys etc more than you will ever need. Get something for when they are older even. they don't know or care about christmas until they are about 2 or 3!!