1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you experienced folk reck?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Figmo, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

So I got an interview! Most chuffed about that BUT would appreciate thoughts on the role. After the most extensive scouring of the Web a gal can do, I've come to the conclusion there's no one else out there doing this job in the UAE currently. So what do you folks think?

• The role is Lead Trainer. I will be training teachers in my subject area in a cluster of schools
    • The pay is 21,000 AED not including accommodation. Includes 8 days hotel on arrival, flights, insurance, visa, annual bonus
    • I don't find out which Emirate I am based in till I arrive
    • I'm employed by MoE
    Does this sound marvellous? Or a recipe for disaster? I'm hoping the former cos I'm pretty excited right now, albeit anxious at the landing in UAE a bit of a hobo.

Thoughts appreciated!

2. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

You'll be teaching/training Emirati graduates on how they can teach Emirati students in the MOE schools. I wouldn't want to do it. Good luck.

Figmo likes this.
  3. 576

576 Established commenter

I sent you a pm with the details of someone who has done this.

Figmo likes this.
  4. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

Hey Jason thanks for the reply. Why wouldn't you want to? Respect your opinion

5. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

Thanks 576 will do so!

6. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

Financially 21,000 a month is fine even without accommodation - Rents in Abu Dhabi are generally considered higher than Dubai (for an equivalent area) and you could still get a very nice one bed for less than 6K a month which would leave you with 15k a month which is pretty good in the current climate. And the rent would be lower in anywhere outside the big two cities, so you'd be able to save and live pretty well. Might be a different story if you're married with children as school fees would eat up your salary pretty quickly I think.

I've no idea about the actual job, but I'd guess it would be easier than working in a MoE school so it might not be bad at all.

Figmo likes this.
  7. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

Thank you Frosty, I appreciate your positive and upbeat responses!

sashabrown and Mr_Frosty like this.
  8. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

Being able to speak and understand Arabic will go a very long way. Two ways this J-O-B can go for you.

1) If you play this position well then things will might, might be rosy for you. You are in a position to pass or fail Emiraties being able to get a "job" that will give them that generous Emirate package these people get. What's their minimum wage these days? $90-100k a year? One can decide to be a TA and get that minimum wage.

2) This could go bad because your previous predecessors or your "college" may have fallen into the Emirate way where every man and their barking dog pass the course no matter the circumstances. So if or when you try to do things within the rules things may go pear shape.

I commend you taking a punt on this role. Wish you all the best. Hopefully you'll give this thread an update.

Figmo likes this.
  9. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

Thank you James. I speak no Arabic unfortunately :(

And yeah I'm a bit of a stickler for the rules so we will have to see how that goes down!

I will keep you updated- there are a lot of these roles flying about at the moment, hopefully a decent thing to get into!