1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you expect/what would you like to see in a good HoD?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by nans, May 2, 2011.

1. On the advice of another poster, I have reposted this from the English forum and would appreciate any subject-specific or generic advice, please.
    I have been teaching for 7 years and have an interview on Weds for a HoD position in an Outstanding school. I know what constitutes a good HoD in terms of people- for example, I consider that I am currently working with an exceptional HoD, whereas my previous one was pretty rubbish- but find it hard to explain what it is that makes a good HoD. I woudl find it really useful if you could just put a couple of lines about what you think makes a good Head of English. Also, do you think I will have difficulties if I am appointed in going into a new school directly at this level, and if so, what do you think would be the best way of dealing with them?
    Thanks very much for your time.