1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sparklepig2002, May 1, 2012.

1. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I have been cooking all morning (my day off!!) and my kitchen looks like a bomb-site. I tend to leave the washing up/loading the dishwasher until I have finished.
    OH gets very iritated by this, as he tends to clear up as he goes along and the kitchen always looks neat and tidy. Who's with me on this one!!!

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I have been cooking all morning (my day off!!) and my kitchen looks like a bomb-site. I tend to leave the washing up/loading the dishwasher until I have finished.
    OH gets very iritated by this, as he tends to clear up as he goes along and the kitchen always looks neat and tidy. Who's with me on this one!!!

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Whoever is doing the cooking should have the say. If he gets irritated, don't let him eat the food.

4. In our house I do all the cooking and my bf does all the cleaning because he cant cook and I hate cleaning- so I make as much mess as I want and as long as his tea tastes good he's not bothered.

5. Wash up as you go along. There's normlly plenty of time to get all/most of the stuff used for preparation washed. All that should be left to do is pans/serving spoons, and tableware/cutlery.

6. We leave it until we've run out of kitchen implements to cook and eat with. Then, with great reluctance, we clean up. Good job - or possibly very bad job - that Mr Kitty and I have the same approach!

7. I'm with you - I clean at the end. My OH has the annoying habit of tidying round me and moving things which I haven't finished with - it drives me mad. Then when we have all eaten everyone disappears and I end up clearing away so I complain and he then says I thought you didn't like me clearing up after you..grrrrr!!!

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

My aunt was buzzing around whilst I was cooking with my sister once.
    Aunt managed to wash up a pan we'd not yet used... twice.
    The second time, we were poised with collander and heavy pan (when cooking for 14, you need BIG pans!) - and the pan underneath was whisked away and washed.

SO ANNOYING!

9. I clean and wash up as I go along.

10. ooooooooooooooooh, you can come to stay with me anytime [​IMG]

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I like to cook and then wash up. Even better, I like to cook and then have Mr BS wash up after me!
    He likes to wash up as he goes along. That said, he doesn't cook very much.

12. seza-lou

seza-lou New commenter

In our house whoever cooks does not have to clean up, BF is a trained chef so knows how to cook which means that I am usually the one cleaning up and I hate cleaning up :(

13. my grandma was the same

14. Generally wash up at the end, but tidy as I go. If it's a mammoth cooking event (you know the sort that uses every single thing in your kitchen) then I wash as I go for as long as I can and then revert back to wash up at the end.

15. I always wash up as I go. Space is limited in my kitchen and there just isn't room to leave anything until the end.

16. I wash as I go but that's because I really resent it at work when someone does the dinner for 18 people (staff and students), uses every single pan and baking tray in doing so and then leaves it all piled up in the sink for somebody else to clean up (the one thing I hate is congealed fat-ick!). I fully agree that, if somebody does the cooking, another person should do the cleaning but being careful with how much equipment you use is a big help. Obviously this is in a work situation though.

17. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I wish my OH and I had the same approach. He's a clean as you go to the extent that even when he's dished dinner up he'll leave it going cold while he washes up the pans he's just emptied. That drives me mad.

18. I think we must have been sisters in a previous life, Sparkly.....