1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do with pupils not cooking?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by mistymoo, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Answers on a postcard??!!
    What would OFSTED think if 3 out of 20 were doing independant written work? I'm just starting to think about it before the issue arises.
    What do you do?
    All ideas welcome :)

2. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

I would start where Ofsted would start: " Why are those 3 pupils not doing practical with the rest of the group"
    If they are ahead: Then is the work they undertaking stretching/challenging them further or is it simply more of the same? If they are high ability then are they being left out of the equation?
    Why can't they be extending the task further? If they have completed a dish, menu, then why can't they look at modifying to include a change or ingredients, cultural change etc etc.
    Why can't they be used within the class, learner as leader?
    I am assuming they are this type of pupil, ie high ability or ahead of schedule?
    I have been observed now 3 times using the new Ofsted criteria and am a coach and mentor at my own and one other school and have attended 4 seperate Ofsted training courses and can guess that these 3 students would cause concern during observation unless properly considered.
    Not sure if this is of any help, tell me what you think?
    Cheers
    Spencer

3. Assuming theres no more than 3 or 4 of them, they get to be "handy helpers" - they then get assigned to other students to help them with their cooking, or, if it's because they've finished something early (over in RM or Graphics), they help to create display material and help sheets ("how to"... change a coping saw blade/use wet and dry/make plastic shiny/get a good surface on _____ .....; sometimes they are asked to take photos of work being done for the wall ; and so on...)
    And of course, there's always an extension task or 2 hanging around!

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

The school used to provide the ingredients so it wasn't a problem, but in other schools I have made sure that there are some spare ingredients so the ones who don't bother or forget to bring them, can cook. They either pay and take the finished food home or try and sell it.