1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do with data at key stage 4?

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by rocketscience, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Wondering what other schools do about tracking progress and target setting in year 10 and 11.
    We ask for termly grades in all subjects twice per term and we track these on a spreadsheet, but we don't do much with this information except push the kids with the low estimates. Is there more that we can do here with this data?
    I am also not happy with how we set targets. There are huge differences between targets set across departments.
    Is it worse to set too high than low. What analysis do others do when the actual results come in.

2. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Presumably teachers set the targets based on their observations of pupils ability. FFTD and KS2 data are probably useful for maths, English and some other subjects but they're totally useless for subjects such as mine - music.
    Also, with the KS2 National Curriculum tests gradually disappearing, basing KS4 targets on KS2 data will be a very risky business. It will mean having 100% faith in the judgement of the KS2 teacher. What if they've underestimated or, worse still, overestimated? I'd also suggest that teachers in KS2 would be more likely to go with an overestimation as this reflects better on them and the school.
    Foundation subjects should always be allowed to set their own targets imo. I'd probably apply this to the core subjects too to be honest (though I'm admittedly less certain about this).

3. Ilovetravel

Ilovetravel New commenter

We've recently been discussing this. How about this as a solution?
    At the start of year 7, all subjects set a standardised base line test/assessment for their subject. This generates a level. This is then used, using 3/4 levels of progress KS2-4.
    What do you think?

4. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

That's what we do. Unfortunately some schools make teachers use FFTD for all subjects. This is despite the fact that even the FFT guidance says...
    • Grades are 85% accurate to within one grade (i.e. a C estimate has an 85% chance of being a C or B or D grade).
    • Estimates for art, music and similar subjects are least acuurate at only 70% and again, only to within one grade.

5. Do you analyse your target and estimated grades against actual grades achieved? Do you also analyse them against their KS2 level?
    KS2 is not a good baseline. We guess that in many primary schools they have managed to push pupils one level beyond their actual level. Should we moderate these in future and take a level off some school's results? We find it is better to find a baseline for every pupil by the end of the first term in Year 7. We allow departments to select targets which need to take note of FFT D and 4 levels of progress. When we analyse the targets against actual grade we find big differences with some subjects who consistently set targets that too few achieve. What is the point of target setting if they don't give pupils something to aim for which they can achieve?
    What do you do with such departments? We just seem to forget about it and start again with the next year.